More Great Dorset Steam Fair

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

fighterpilot
Trident
Trident

More Great Dorset Steam Fair

Post by fighterpilot »

For those that are interested here are a few of my pics from this years Great Dorset Steam Fair.

A rather work weary looking Ploughing Engine (Steam Ploughing engines are sometimes still used commercially as dredgers)

Two Fine examples of Fowlers of Leeds Showmans Road Locomotives

Wood Sawing

Threshing

Two Burrell 'Scenic' Showmans engines designed to power the biggest scenic railway fairground rides (note the second dynamo behind the chimney used to help start the heavy rides)

Steam Powered Car

Amalgamated Heavy Haulage, a great sight and sound when they take these loads up the not inconsiderable hill on the site.

As the light levels fade the Showmans engines come into their own.

Another fine example of Burrell's Scenic Showmans Engine this particular example was delivered with smaller back wheels to help climb the hills of Devon.

I hope you have enjoyed looking at these, I've tried to cover a range of the steam activities on the site but there is so much more to see there, well worth a visit.

Richard
ImageImage

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Re: More Great Dorset Steam Fair

Post by dfarrow »

Bootiful Boi , favorites the ''Throsing machine'' and heavy haulage . Did they pull a massive stean [ rail ] locomotive up the hill this year ? Mind you that generator looks as heavy .
And the night scenes ; when it's dark with an inversion, the steam , smoke , soot forms it's own V. low level cloud with all the lights reflecting down from it !
Magic .
Thanks for showing as missed it this year , away and work .

rgds dave f .

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Lovely shots, Richard. Thanks for posting them. I love that ploughing engine in the first shot. It looks like a restoration project - I can't imagine that it was under steam? It's very unusual to see one in that state nowadays as you wouldn't think many would have still have been left to decay to that extent. Although if it had been left unrestored completely there wouldn't much left of it by now. Whatever - I'm sure it's an interesting story.

I liked your shots of engines under power hauling those loads. And like Dave, I do like to see a decent threshing machine in action! It's good to see them working and good to know that the owners are happy to work them. Of course they probably maintain them themselves so are quite happy to give themselves extra maintenance as it's part of the attraction. They certainly are a breed apart and they seem to be carrying a younger generation of enthusiasts with them.

Thanks again for the piccys.

Ian :)

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

It's always good to see pics from steam events.On last night's Countryfile programme on BBC1, I thought I heard Matt Baker say that he would be at a steam rally in Dorset on next Sunday's prog so it might have been recorded at this event.
Thanks for posting the pics Ian.Have a great few days up North.I believe that they've got electricity now up there so you may be able to put up a post to let us know how it goes! :agree: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Tomliner wrote:Thanks for posting the pics Ian.
Actually, these are Richard's pics, Eric. And very fine they are too :lol: Mine are in another post.

Thanks for the tip about CountryFile - I'm sure it will be the Great Dorset Steam Fair that features so I'll make sure I watch it on Sunday.

I've just checked in to the hotel in Inverness while my mate has just texted to say he had lunch on the Highland Chieftan as it streaked through Durham. I didn't bother with the EasyJet offering! There is electricity here but it looks a bit dodgy. Glad I brought some of my own! :lol:

Ian :)

fighterpilot
Trident
Trident

Post by fighterpilot »

Yes It will be the Great Dorset Steam Fair on Countryfile, Matt Baker the lucky git was riding around the playpen (area where all the heavy haulage takes place) on various engines on the Friday when I was there.
ImageImage

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Lovely photos, Richard. most enjoyable.
I must make an effort to attend ther show one year.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I really enjoyed those pictures and was wondering how far those lovely machines have traveled to get to the venue...Must be a great adventure just getting there :)

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Hi Richard. Sorry for confusing your pics with those of Ian.My comments re the pics still stand and my comments to Ian were meant to follow up from a pm to him.Oh gawd,I get so confused these days. :doh: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!