How badly do I need an iPhone?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

How badly do I need an iPhone?

Post by speedbird591 »

Obviously, I don't need an iPhone at all. You all know how much I love my iPad which does almost everything I need and is backed up by a nice little Samsung mobile for communications.

What could an iPhone offer me? Nothing, right? So I felt quite able to resist the siren call of Apple when I recently agreed to help a friend's wife who had a valid reason to buy an iPhone5 to replace her iPad mini.

By the time I'd got her up and running with it and handed it back over - I realised that there was a gap in my life :doh: I missed it and kept pestering her to see if it needed any settings adjusted :worried:

A confession. Apple got to me. I'm now the proud owner of an Apple iPhone5 and I love it unconditionally. It's a perfect miniature of my iPad - like a baby one. It's so cute!

It's not that Apple apps and iOS do anything more than the others - it's just the cool way that they do things.

Sorry. I've been Appled. I don't know how it happened but it did. So be aware. Don't let your guard down!

Ian :)

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: How badly do I need an iPhone?

Post by airboatr »

speedbird591 wrote:
Sorry. I've been Appled.

my condolences

:poke:

:worried: :lol:

jk Ian , I.m happy your having fun
;)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

My daughter replaced her Blackberry with an iPhone 5 and she loves it to bits. She's using it as I type :-O Thinking about it.. there's rarely a time I don't see her using it :dunno: Personally.. I don't feel the need for such techno wizardry though I secretly fancy one from time to time :worried:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Trouble with ours is that Face time seems to have stopped working!
Seems someone is taking them to court for billions as they are claiming breach of patent!
And yes - we exchanged the Android for an Ipad mini, 'cos I could not understand the android logic - possible because I'm ancient.
Keith

JohnD
Victor
Victor

Post by JohnD »

I've been an Apple fan for a few years now since my son had one. I have the MacBook Pro, iPad and iPhone and they just work seamlessly together. If I knew that FSX would work on the iMac in windows mode I would change my desktop tomorrow. Even my wife has been converted and has a full set!

Regards
John
I have the mind of an athlete, but the body of a spectator.

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

Dev One wrote:Trouble with ours is that Face time seems to have stopped working!
Seems someone is taking them to court for billions as they are claiming breach of patent!
Hi Keith. Apple have had to remove the FaceTime App and icon from the iPhone5 but FaceTime still works OK. Instead of accessing it through the App you just access it directly through your Contacts.

Go into Contacts to the desired recipient of your call and you'll see the FaceTime option displayed. Click on it and select their email address or mobile number. Once a two-way facetime communication has been established once, the little video camera icon appears next to it.

It works fine for me and my friend's wife on our iPhones (but don't tell him about it :worried: ).

Hope this helps.

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

Having seen how seamlessly my iPad syncs my work contacts and calendar appointments with my work laptop, I got a second-hand iPhone 4S which also now has my work stuff synced to it. I never managed that with my last two phones.
That plus having my favourite apps in a more mobile package mean I'm really happy with the iPhone. It may be expensive to buy but it works.

Jon

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Ian,
Thanks for that tip, but we had a problem the other day trying to contact a relation on the Med (yes in a ship), we could not make a connection, but she could!
I also helped a friend to set up her new Ipad4 & we could not make a connection from France, so it may be a locality problem. Searching the internet brings up a users group detailing the problem - seems lots out there have been cut off. Must try again.
Regards
Keith

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

I'm surprised. I thought I was going to be in a very small minority here but it seems that quite a few people here use Apple stuff. Until I bought my iPad I was resistant to Apple's tight control over what content you could have on your device but I now like the fact that all the Apps are carefully vetted and that the settings are virtually foolproof. Basic, but by limiting the amount of fiddling you can do it does mean it's difficult to mess it up.

And as I said before, the way the Apps and the iOS does things is really cool. It doesn't just do things - it does them in an artistic and graphically pleasing way. It doesn't have to but it's lovely to watch.

And as others have said, the seamless syncing between Apple devices - calendars and stuff makes life very easy. The only thing I do hate is iPlayer but you don't need to use it even if you sync with a PC. I've managed to use iCloud and other ways of transferring stuff from the PC and once it's done it's done.

I'll tell you how I managed to justify an iPhone as well as my iPad. Cyberbrat's phone contract, which I pay for, finishes in a few months. So I got him to agree to replace his Galaxy Nexus with an iPhone5. Next, I bought an unlocked iPhone5 from Apple and a rolling one month contract from 3. So when I pop my clogs, he gets an unlocked iPhone so he just has to buy a sim only contract of his choice OR he could just sell the iPhone - good secondhand value and get what he wants.

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I guess I must be a Luddite 'cus I've never owned a mobile phone of any sort. :dunno:
Larry