Italics???

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Italics???

Post by J0hn »

Sorry - there doesn't seem to be an 'admin' or such thread or forum on the site - so I thought it might fit into this section.

I have to say, I am really struggling with the new italic format of the typeface. It looks quite smart from a distance, but once I try reading the posts, especially longer paragraphs, it nearly sends me cross eyed! :$

Maybe it's my age - but I must admit to normally finding it difficult to read more than a couple of lines on my PC monitor - strange, as I find it easy to read on my netbook - but then I use my reading specs for that. The PC screen is too far for those - would just be a blur (maybe that's best :party: ), and in italics it's far worse for me.

Anyway, is it a trial or is it going to stay italicised?

PS - btw, if you look at the typeface in my sig under the picture (you know - the 'mediocrity' bit) - that typeface is far easier to read in italics ;)

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Italics???

Post by TSR2 »

Hi John,

Not sure what you mean, but we don't use italics on the forum other than were someone chooses italics for some text etc. What web browser are you using? I'll check your profile settings in case you've set some formatting in there for your own user account. :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi John,

I've checked your profile and can't see anything in there. Could you post a screen shot please?

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I get that too, if I use IE, but not with Firefox :dunno:

Screen grab in IE:

Same in Firefox:

Dave G.

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

I'm in IE...no italics :dunno:
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

How about this in IE?

Italics, italics, italics .....
George

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

I'm IE8 on this XP machine and no 'natural' italics. My Win7 and Vista machines are both IE10 and I don't see italics on them either *-)

EDIT: I'm on the Win7 IE10 machine now and all looks normal.. well, as normal as this place ever gets :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Cleartype? Check that its enabled, just a thought. I've tried it on IE10 on this PC and IE8 on the work machine and I don't see any italics... v strange. I'll ask the question and see if anyone over at phpBB has any ideas.

ImageImageImage

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

My screen looks exactly the same as Dave's posted one (the top one)- only I am using Firefox - don't touch IE (yuk!).

It's only here, too - hence why I though it had been changed by admin. Weird. *-)

Here's a shot of the main forum page:

as you can see, the forum titles are in italics, but the rest isn't. I have checked the source code and there is nothing in there such as tags, to make the typeface appear in italics. I also cleared out my cache, cookies etc with CCleaner.

Come to think of it - I know that at one time whilst browsing yesterday, I did see a kind of console or suchlike come up at the bottom of my browser. It was like the search bar, only much bigger. I had accidentally pressed a couple of keys instead of just one - and I may well have been on this site when I did it.

So I reckon I must have done something unintentionally - but I have no idea how to change it back. I've tried pressing my LCtrl key with every other key on my keyboard, but nothing similar has come up.

Now I've done it! :doh: