Not so silly sheep

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Not so silly sheep

Post by Airspeed »

Hi All,
Quick update on our experience with the lamb:
Our Daughter visited recently, she was the one who rescued lamb when it was abandonned, and she bottle fed it until it came to us, several weeks back.
Lamb evidently recognised her, and proceeded to lead our Daughter down past the house, stopping to look back to see that her intentions were understood. Lamb took her to the enclosure, waited for the door to be opened, walked to her sleeping hut, waited for that door to be opened, then laid down on the straw. She never does that with others including us. She was obviously saying, "This is where I live now, everything's fine, see?"
Prompted some you tube searching that showed one sheep playing head butts with a cow/bull/steer?, and another that was able to undo two different latches on its pen.
Yes, they follow, because they're herd animals, and feel safe in company, but they certainly ain't stupid. She likes playing ball-chase with our two dogs, too.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Not so silly sheep

Post by FlyTexas »

...or the lamb might have been saying "Talk to Dad about allowing me to live in the house." :lol: Seriously though, neat story. Our four-legged friends are smarter than most people give them credit. :agree:

Brian

speedbird591
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by speedbird591 »

That's a nice story, Mike. Lamb sounds like quite a character. I can't remember seeing any photos yet, have we?

Ian :)

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Thanks for that Mike.I'll show it to SWMBO ( your post that is!) .We are both animal lovers but she is on a higher plane altogether! :thumbsup: EricT
Edit, I just showed this to SWMBO and she said ' What a lovely story.Mike must be a really nice man' However, not wishing to shatter her illusions,I kept quiet! :lol: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Nice of you to ask, Ian. 0:)
I'll be sending Eric a "marking ring" for his next birthday (No, Eric, it's not a finger ring with inbuilt texta pen! :lol: :lol: )
Finally cleared some photos across to computer.
Both before Lamb's tail was removed by rubber ring:
Checking out something tasty on the West verandah. Lola (Lollylegs) supervises. Lola is a Jack Russell cross, 3 years old.
Yesterday, Lola, who does EVERYTHING at top speed, heard another dog bark along the gully, shot out to investigate, then limped back in with a torn chest. Probably ran into a stick or bit of wire. $120 for the vet. :doh: :(
Here she is again, on the South verandah. Mrs Airspeed tried to get Ginny (Kelpie cross, 10 years old) to look at the camera, but she kept watching me instead.