PC Replacement

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

PC Replacement

Post by Tomliner »

Like others,I''m soon going to have look at replacing my faithful old Win XP machine and I have to say that I am not looking forward to it for any number of reasons.
Initially I would stay with FS9 because of the hassle of learning to use FSX as well as the cost of scenery add ons etc.
Having done some browsing re FS9 compatibility with Win 8,it seems that there are pitfalls even with FS9 on a separate partition,let alone a separate drive as Ben suggests.The general opinion is that Win 7 is the better option.
I'm not sure that I can be bothered with it all and may just keep the existing pc but disconnect it from the internet,although I'll need to think about such things as printing any documents download using the iPad.The problem with that is the printer is connected to the pc via USB.
Sorry to burden you with these woes,it may have something to do with it being in the early hours when having woken up with various ( non pc related ) things on my mind , these problems seem to be magnified. *-) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Re: PC Replacement

Post by Vancouver »

I know nothing other than what I have read about W8. FYI I have been a w7 64 bit user for over 2 years now and say (touching wood, must not tempt fate :wasntme: ) that it is the best OS I have ever used. With PC's I have had every MS OS going back to Win 3.1 and DOS 6.2. XP was great and almost as reliable as W7 from my experience.
W7 is stable, it recovers itself easily when it does have its moments. The transition is not all that difficult.
Get as much RAM as you can afford is all I would add, I have 16Gb so no need to run virtual memory and with FSX that eliminated out of memory errors.
Alex

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Eric / Alex,

There's no need for 16GB in an FSX pc(or FS9 or P3D) the application simply cant use it. The theoretical maximum it can use is 4GB and I've never seen it use more than 2. 8GB is plenty. It basically comes down to a money / patience thing. There's not much to "learn" with FSX and rather bizarrely it runs better on Windows 8.1 than any previous OS. And don't believe everything you read on the internet Eric ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Eric,
My system is now 2 or 3 years old.
Basic details are:
Win 7 Home premium.
Physical memory - Total 6Gb, - Available 4.29Gb
Virtual memory - Total 15Gb, - Available 13.3Gb
Processor i7 CPU 960 @ 3.2GHz.

I have never had OOM with FS9 or FSX.
I have ORBX textures for all Australia, many add-on airports in high detail, Earth Sim IoM, IoS, VFR airports S England, a bunch of trees and hundreds of aircraft, many of which are AI scenery for the airports. I get well over 100fps in light scenery areas, and 50+ in most situations. Occasionally it may dip to high 20s in dense scenery with active animated objects.

Things have improved since I bought, so I can't see you having any trouble getting a suitable set up. ;)
Feel the force

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I have never had OOM with FS9 or FSX.
OOM has never really been a problem with FS9 and with 6gig physical ram installed, you should not get one with FSX :)

Is your Win7 Home Premium 32-bit or 64-bit?

It doesn't matter.. the reasons why FSX OOM's has been done to death already ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

In my experience, never had oom with FS9, but FSX Oy Vey! Once you start piling on FTX and some NA airports and REX and UT2 and GEX and U Terrain and PMDG and FSC it fell over until I removed the virtual RAM. the 16Gb of RAM is more for WIndows than for the sim itself.
One of the biggest culprits with OOM was to load up a memory hog a/c like a PMDG and then switch to another like Level D or a FS9 port over. I found it was always best to end a flight and re configure one or better still, come out the sim and then re load.
But as I say the upped amount of RAM banished the OOM with no virtual memory utilised. The RAM is for windows benefit alone, the sims not being 64bit cannot use it.
Alex

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Thanks for the helpful replies to my early hours angst gents.Problems never seem quite so bad in the morning do they?
I'll take a look at a replacement pc sometime in the New Year.There is a very good local company who have a few shops in Edinburgh to whom I'll probably go when the time comes( www.simplyfixit.co.uk),who have a good reputation.A look at their website shows a number of suggested builds but they will build one to your own spec.Being local is very handy in case of problems.In fact one of their branches is less than half a mile along the road from here.
Sorry,I didn't intend to re-ignite any old debate about OOM etc! :) EricT

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OOM's.. the final frontier! :lol:

If their prices are good (which they say they will be).. that local shop should be a good bet if you don't fancy getting all the bits and making it yourself. It's probably true to say that for the most part.. shops like this (and the bigger vendors of course) can throw a pc together for a lot cheaper than you or I could source the component parts for but 'key' to this is the quality of the components. You obviously won't get high-end components in a rig costing £300 although the spec may suggest otherwise :)

For us lot sitting on the fence developing mould.. our concerns are centred around one thing.. flightsim.. will it run it and how well will it run it. FSX brought with it the spectre of the dreaded OOM.. something I'd never seen (and still haven't) in all my years with previous incarnations of the sim. If your system has a 32-bit OS which is only physically able to address a gnats do-dar over 3gb.. running a prog like FSX which will gobble up to 4gb of your memory will leave you open to this problem though depending on your type of flying and scenery e t c.. you're not guaranteed to get them. My WinXP is 32-bit and I've not had an OOM for a while now but this is due to me knowing what I can do and get away with. If I fly around the Portsmouth scenery I put together.. I'll get one whether I want one or not :lol:
Getting a 64-bit OS as a starter, while not guaranteeing a lack of problems running FSX, will push you further out of the danger area because a 64-bit OS is not tied to the 3gig memory barrier. I only have 4gig installed in my Win7 (64-bit) system and have not seen an OOM though I have been able to make it very tired :lol: You can throw more memory into a 64-bit OS and it will see it all even though the program you're running may not be able to utilize it. On my WinXP 32-bit system.. I could install shed loads of ram on the motherboard but the OS would still only see 3gig because that is all it can address. (I actually have 4gb installed and Windows reports 3.25gb)

It's a bu99er really. I've never been interested in 64-bit systems as I don't run 64-bit programs. It's just that FSX (and Prepar3D I fear) will use more than a 32-bit OS can address (if pushed) so the only real escape from this issue is to run them on a 64-bit OS which can make available all they'll ever need and more if you have it installed. Alex's solution is quite elegant I think. Disable virtual memory completely and have installed as much physical ram as the OS will ever address but you need a 64-bit OS in order to do this as well as the dosh for all that ram :lol: A 32-bit OS would still only address 3gig :cpu: If you're only going to run FS9.. none of this matters ;)

That's the OS out of the way.. next, the hardware! :lol:

M$ want whacking with a big stick! :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Hi Dave. As FS ,whichever version,would be one the main reasons for sticking with a desktop,I would expect to be looking at a higher spec'd pc than the basic.I had some contact with Ben who has given some sound advice as usual.I wouldn't be looking at a top end machine because I don't think that I couldn't really justify it but even a modern mid range one will run FS better than mine!
My guess would be something with 8gig of ram,probably an i5 processor, a good Nvidia graphics card and suitable HDD(s).
However I would run any ideas past Ben before making any decision re final hardware and OS selection.
I'm sure I'll be returning to this subject! :) EricT