TSR2 Again

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

TSR2 Again

Post by hobby »

I have just downloaded a TSR2 from a website called: www.bluesteelfs.com. This acft is in the form of an exe and while downloading a message appeared on my screen as follows "this file is not normally downloaded and may harm your computer"

I have not opened the exe.

Has any forum member knowledge of this website or the aircraft offered there?

Can this site be trusted?

Should I bin the exe file from this website?

I would welcome the areas (sq.ft.) of both tailplane and fin of the real TSR2 if any forum member can supply that information.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Re: TSR2 Again

Post by SkippyBing »

I just downloaded and ran it and didn't get any warnings from Avast anti-virus. I know someone who downloaded the latest Vic got the same message from their AV programme, it was to some extent a fair comment as only about 88 people had got it at that stage so it was 'not normally downloaded'.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

IE and win8 will do some basic checks, if any file isn't downloaded a lot, it will warn you. Its just a little safety measures. If your AV has scanned it and there's no problems it should be ok.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

My 'Microsoft Security Essentials' is giving me the same message but the file shows to be clean. :dunno: Here's a pic of what's inside.

Brian

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:-O

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

IMHO Looks very basic by today's standards. *-)

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Yes, I remember that one - FS2002 I think it was. I did try it recently, but it caused a CTD, so I binned it.
Luckily the Virtavia one came on special at PCAviator over Christmas and I got it for AUD9.50

MikeW

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Hobby,
My best calculation for the tailplane & fin area are: Tail plane span = 26.5 ft & Area = 165 sq ft. Area between the inner edges (i.e. the fuselage) not included.
Fin = 103.5 sq ft; height of fintip above a/c datum = 14.0 ft.

These dimensions are taken from the G.A. drawing in Tim Mclellands book TSR2.
Although the fuselage station numbers are difficult to read on that reproduction I do know (having been in the TSR2 DO) that the bulkhead station at the nosewheel was 280 inches aft of datum zero.
Hope this helps you
Keith

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

Post by hobby »

For Dev One:

Many thanks. I have used that information. I am attempting to alter the acft cfg , and therefore indirectly the AIR file of Virtavia's TSR2. My first examination showed the aircraft span as issued by Virtavia to be 60 feet!! I have changed that to 37 ft and corrected the wing area to its real life value. Such alterations do bring drawbacks when flying in FS9 but by working on the flaps (L/E & T/E) I have managed to bring the approach speed down to 210 kts with a touchdown speed of 180 kts. More work is needed to achieve a touchdown speed of approx. 150 kts. I am still working on this aspect of the aircraft.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Chaps,

you have to remember if you start changing all tge config to match the real world data, it probably wont fly. What you do in FS is bastardise the measurements and values so as the aircraft flies at or near to the numbers. There is probably a really good reason for the numbers in the cfg file to be way off, and its probably to give it reasonably realistic performance in the sim.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage