Building RAE Bedford for FSX

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Building Airfields FSX

Post by TSR2 »

Thanks George :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Chaps,

Well, I decided to try PNG (after looking at the list of file formats) and it worked (sort of)
2.PNG
As you can see its a bit crap, but its something I can work with. I just used some of the default textures in GIMP, this isn't the real thing, but just to see if I could texture it with something :lol:

I set the texture to 1024 x 1024 and as you can see its very blocky. What's the best size to use for something like a hanger?

Oh, and whats the best way to pan around the model while your working on it? I find myself clicking on a poly, then clicking the arc rotate button, then clicking the next poly and so on. In Bills video he seems to be able to wiz round the model with impunity :lol:

ImageImageImage

Effoh
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Effoh »

Ben,

Thurleigh is on one of my cycle routes, so if you need anything looking at, give me a shout.
Rgds,

Colin
Gentleman (n.) Someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Actually yes please! No big rush, but I need some confirmation of a few bits if you get a chance. I know there is a kinetheodolite tower on the North Western side of the field... http://binged.it/1htPE6m and marked at A below...
thurleightower1.PNG
(266.37 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
Now there is another one somewhere on the southern side, I think this is it below, but I can't place it on the map. If you could find that and mark it up it would be a huge help. And an approximation of how tall it is to the balcony would be useful. ;)

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n63 ... 042525.jpg

On another note, having exported my MDL file I can't seem to add it to the sim. I've put it through MCX to convert it to a BGL, but when I place it using ADE or instant scenery, there is nothing there. I think this is because GMAX doesn't seem to export textures, so I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do.

Also, in ADE, when I placed the object, it was showing as being in excess of 20000FT x something similar. In GMAX its set to 70m x 75m (The texture area is 80m x 80m) so something seems to be being lost in translation.

Any advice?

ImageImageImage

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Actually Colin,

Another thing if possible. On the Northern side of the Airfield off to the left of the peri track is this...

http://binged.it/1n4SVZa

I've no idea what it is, but I've seen it marked on charts from the 80's. If you can see what it is and get a photo without risk to yourself it would be much appreciated. ;)

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Can't remember if it's the case with Gmax, but using Max, you need to set the units up in two places. You have to set the "display unit scale" to meters, then click "system unit setup" & make sure the "system unit scale" is 1 unit = 1 meter.
I assume you've got your bgl in an active scenery folder? You'll probably have to copy your textures into the corresponding texture folder manually & convert them to bmp / dds if needed.

You may also find if it's been exported as a really huge object that you can't see it in the sim because you're actually inside it!
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Cheers DG,

I've checked and both are set to meters. Can you post a screenshot of your settings as there are another few settings in there. Is it a case that once I get the settings right, I can just re export the model?

[EDIT]

Hi Dave,

Units are set to metres and in the preferences I have the settings below...

Also, you are right, its so big I'm inside it! :lol: :doh:
3.PNG
(21.32 KiB) Downloaded 285 times

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Looking at the screenshot, you need to change the "system unit scale" to "1 unit = 1 meters", not 0.01 meters as it is at the moment.
Dave G.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Ah! Cheers Dave :thumbsup:

If I open the model up again and re - export it will it resize it or do I need to do anything else?

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Not sure TBH Ben. I think you'll need to rescale it. That in itself can cause problems if it's not done the "correct" way 8)
I'm at work at the moment, so I can't go into detail, but don't use the "scale" button on the toolbar! Use a modifier instead.
I'm sure there is some info on scaling over at FSDeveloper.
Dave G.