Yipppeeee!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Yipppeeee!

Post by J0hn »

After years of suffering interminably low internet speeds, today I was finally able to order my fibre connection.

For years I suffered Tiscali's dire 'service' and ignorant 'support', whilst struggling to get a mere 512kB/s from my adsl connection. After switching to Waitrose, the speed instantly doubled, but then the problem started again. After finally completely losing my temper with the chief technical advisor at Waitrose, they sent the BT chap round and guess what? I'd been connected to a 'telephone only - not for broadband' line!

My speed jumped to 3MB/s! This was the BIG time! :lol:

When we got ADSL2+ a couple of years ago, again my speed rose, this time to a previously unimaginable 4MB/s :-O

However, every Christmas it got dropped to the old 2MB/s until about April, when it would slowly rise again. This year, I had been told we would get FTTC, but I never trust those types at BT (my brother is a supervisor there, so I know the shenanigins that go on). The next street up has had fibre since January and we are the last street before the town border, so why they left us for another 6 months is a mystery. They even lowered our speeds in January, to half what they were before.

However, upon checking my speed this morning with the BT checker, it told me we had finally been FTTC enabled! Did I cheer? Did I sing? Did I go running downstairs and do a little dance around the living room? Is the Pope a catholic? :lol:
One day early, too! Cue grab for phone to call Zen (my current ISP, after a spell with IDNet, who are very good, but also a bit dear).

Expected speed = 76 to 80 MB/s!!! Yup - we're very close to the cabinet and expect the top whack! I can't even imagine what that kind of speed is going to be like!

The Openreach guy is coming on the 8th July - so I'm going to go and do a speed test afterwards and come and post the results here. Get ready to party! :Dance: :Dance: :Dance: :Dance: :Dance: :Dance:

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Yipppeeee!

Post by TSR2 »

You lucky, lucky bar steward :lol:

Great news mate...

Send them up here when your done ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

This'll make you smile......I'm happy when my d/ls hit 600Kb/s. :)

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

Yeah, sorry - I'm not trying to be mean. I remember how I felt back in the Battlefield 2 days, when I was struggling to reach half a meg and less than 100ms ping to the server and another Brit in the clan kept posting his 100MB/s speedtest results on our forum. He was in Sweden. The git.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

John, you will love BT Infinity. Over the past couple of days, I've been watching highlights of Glastonbury because both my daughters were there, and I've been able to stream full-screen video on BBC iplayer without a single pause or hiccup. The downside is that you will find yourself forking out for huge flight sim add-ons such as Orbx scenery because you can download them in a few minutes instead of hours. ;)

Chris Sykes
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Chris Sykes »

You will notice the difference a lot! 70mb here also so much quicker downloads and you won't mind downloading large files anytime (if your unlimited)

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

Stop teasing me! :lol:

It's bad enough, counting down the days... :excited:

Yes, I'll finally be able to switch my YouTube and Netflix settings from "I have a slow connection, please show only low resolution videos"

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

Well, the nice young BT chappie (also ex-Royal Signals btw ;) ) turned up just before lunchtime and was gone inside of 20 minutes.

He 'phoned me earlier to say he was at the cabinet and wouldn't be long, so I took Sheba up to meet him - just so she didn't decide it was "early lunch" when he showed up at the gate! :lol:

She must have known, because she didn't stop licking him - mind you, she still let him know who was boss when he came to the house!

I've ordered new USB wirless modems, because my current ones are too slow - only up to 12 MB/s, but when I plug the laptop straight into the LAN port - off it goes...

Aaaah - really tickles me when it does that! :Dance:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

John,

Do you mean USB wireless network adapters? If so, you may be barking up the wrong tree as wireless connections will always show incorrect readings on speed test sites. ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

J0hn
Concorde
Concorde

Post by J0hn »

My wireless USB stick is not capable of transferring higher than 12MB/s - that's the problem (it's quite old). I also want to switch to 5GHz as there is far too much interference on 2.4GHz in this cul-de-sac, and my router is a nice N600 dual-band job, as is the USB modem coming :)