what joystick do you use?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

233SQN
Viscount
Viscount

what joystick do you use?

Post by 233SQN »

My Wingman Extreme has been a faithful servant but the buttons are starting to stick a bit now..... time for a new one.

It's a long time since I looked, what is the favoured device nowadays?

Does anyone use force feedback anymore?

rgds
Thanks

Colin Bear

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: what joystick do you use?

Post by DaveB »

I've moved this down to the Virtual Spanner Colin :)

No help with joystick suggestions I'm afraid.. I still use a very old MS Sidewinder Precision Pro :worried:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

I bought the Siatek X52 pro last year as a bit of a treat, I've grown to like it despite having a job setting it up between native FSX controller setting, FSUIPC, and their own software. In the end I removed their software an just used the native FSX. Reality is its expensive and has too many buttons. Like Dave i have a trusty old Microsoft Sidewinder force feedback 2, and in my honest opinion this is a much better joystick than anything that's been or gone since. The Siatek stick has a big spring to centre the stick and its the most unnatural sounding thing as it clunks and groans as you move the stick around. I think the CH stick might be better in this instance, but from memory it didn't have rudder control or a throttle (but i could be wrong).
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Colin :hello:
For numerous years, a CH Flightstick Pro did it for me. It does have a throttle, but like yours, eventually some buttons became unreliable. Always hoped I could replace bits, so it's in the shed awaiting a miracle. I read a recent post here about a member who did repair his gear.
I was always happy with the stick, but now I generally fly light GA, my CH Flight Sim Yoke and pedals do me nicely.
If you really want a stick, and cannot fix your buttons, I'd look closely at both Saitek and CH. Ben's comments about the return spring are an eye opener for me, as Saitek's been on my wish list for ages. They're "cheap as" in the USA, but cost the Earth down this way; freight alone is a killer.
Finally, If you don't have, and you can't afford, pedals, and you're going to buy a new stick: I used an old stick screwed to a board, actuated by some simple levers attached to home made wooden pedals. No toe brakes, but rudder was fine. I was still using that when I acquired the current set up.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I actually have 2 Sidewinder Precision Pro sticks.. one on this pc and one on my old XP machine. Not sure why MS pulled out of the joystick market as their stuff was good. I did have a Sidewinder FF but it was the Mk1 version and wasn't compatible with newer OS for some reason. They brought out the v2 and pulled out of the market :dunno:
Had a CH Flightstick Pro years ago but that ended up going due to no rudder control. A good stick mind you :) I've since tried a Logitech Wingman (on the recommendation of one of our members).. flew with it 2 or 3 times then it went back in the box. The return spring on it was so damn strong, I found the only way to control it was by putting it flat on a desk and holding the base firmly with my left hand while doing the flying bit with my right. No good at all :| I have a CH Pro Yoke and pedals up in the loft and I reckon it'll stay there until I change my flying habits.. eg, helicopters and things that don't have a yoke ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

saltysplash
Comet
Comet

Post by saltysplash »

I still use an old Saitek AV8R which was a budget Joystick but with plenty of buttons, twin throttle controls and twist grip for rudder.

It has lasted very well over the years and has coped with the abuse of 2 toddlers who find it and drive it around the room. My only problem with it is the spring is a bit heavy now which requires extra pressure to move the yoke so like dave I often have to use both hands. On to hold the base the other the make the moves.

The main thing is it still works and at a cost of about £25 seven or eight years ago I think ive had my monies worth :cheers:

Geoff

PaulC
VC10
VC10

Post by PaulC »

Hello Gents,

If you've external springs which are too stiff a couple of tiny tie-wraps pulling the springs together works wonders.

For me- Saitek X52 is my favourite. I had a saitek yoke which I disliked intensity. My CadetSqn flight sim uses the Saitek Cessna yoke however which is lovely.

Paul

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I use a CH F-16 COMBAT Stick and have done for years...Don't know if it is still made.

As far as "Force Feedback" is concerned...Real sticks don't do all those rubbishy things. If they are on manual controls then you will only feel air resistance to control movement and that resistance will increase with IAS...If you have hydraulic powered controls then you will feel springs resisting your movement (just as in a sim stick)...You may have Artificial Feel fed into that spring resistance to increase their resistance with IAS to make them feel more like manual controls... All those bumps and lumps of "Force Feedback" just do not happen in real flight... So FF is just a waste of space.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Peter,

of course your right about the bumps and lumps, but in my honest opinion the resistance from the Sidewinder 2 force feedback was much more realistic, and of course you can switch the lumps and bumps off ;)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

It was a great deal of fun playing MechWarrior on a FF stick :lol: I turned mine off for FS making it as slack as a yak (they're slack btw) ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage