Difficulty with trident 3

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

4535jacks
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Difficulty with trident 3

Post by 4535jacks »

I am learning to fly the trident 3 and so far I am having issues with engine management. Firstly even with auto throttle and autopilot off the throttles will not stick at 100% but instead keep returning to around 70-80% even on takeoff which is making the takeoff roll very long. In flight due to the lack of power I am climbing at 220kts which gives me 1500fpm. Also I have had a few engine failures, particularly the no2 engine and I keep getting the master warning lamp come on. I have also had all engines fail in flight.

I have read the manual but is there something I am missing?

Regards,

Gary

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Difficulty with trident 3

Post by DaveB »

Hi Gary :hello:

I've not flown the T3 for ages but I can't think of a reason off hand why you're unable to maintain 100% throttle. Do you have the top temp switches made (hang on.. am I thinking about the 1-11 now?) :wall:

What sim are you flying it in? I've more than a few hours in it in FS9 and can't say I've had trouble with any of the things you mention *-)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Hi Gary :hello:
If you are taking off fully fueled the t3 will need a good run and will be sluggish in the climb, even worse if the local temperature is high. Use either the booster motor or water injection or both :lol: Better to start training with a lighter load.
If I have a short runway in front of me or a steep climb out I will start the booster motor during the taxi to the runway then switch to climb power (the switch is on the co pilot side by the landing gear indicator lights)as we advance the main throttles. The booster motor will cut when passing 250kts but I switch it off well before then. Don't use auto throttle during take off roll. I have top temp switched on and floor the throttles. With top temps on, the temps will not go into the red. Water injection will allow more throttle without going into the red, but for only as long as the water lasts. I usually switch the top temps off when settled into the climb, and keep the engine temps out of the red by managing the throttles. Get the slats up when passing 225 kts, she can quickly get to 250 kts so you need to maybe throttle back a bit to avoid over speed below 10000ft Once over fl100 I will set autothrottle to 280kts and just control things with rate of climb
Read Davids M's tutorial, it will help you a lot
Let us know how you get on
Atb
Dale
Image Image Image

4535jacks
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by 4535jacks »

I had another punt this evening this time kit on VATSIM and I tried a different tact. This time I spent very little time on the apron with the engines running and used the booster engine and water meth on. I also turned of the top temp limiters and used 100% for takeoff roll and climb to 2000ft and then throttled back to keep the temps under 600degC and I idled the booster prior to turning it off. I then set throttles to about 90%, reset the thrust index and continued the climb with autopilot with IAS hold at 230kts (so the slats were away to reduce drag) and then once above fL100 I set the IAS to 290kts. With these increased climb speeds, the engine temps stayed between 500-550DegC even if I advanced the throttle to full power and allowed me to turn off the top temp switches we no detriment to max achievable power. This gave a RoC of 1500 to 3000fpm but allowed me to climb to FL300.

The manual recommends a climb setting of 93-95% and I assumed that this N2 and nothing to do with the thrust index?

Tomorrow I will rear tempt the flight back from Geneva to Heathrow and use these new technique.

On another note, can anyone recommend any other good classic models with a good vc(a must for me!)? I also regularly fly the HS748 and HS780 and I have downloaded all of the DM models. I am not really into the new FMC equip Airbuses and Boeings and so any recommendations of other classic types would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for all of the help,

Gary

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Glad you're getting there :thumbsup:
The airspeed ambassador has quite a good vc http://www.robertjamesrichardson.co.uk/page4.html. I think its an fsx only model
Try out just flights freemium 757 you just pay for any addon liveries. Its not a complex aircraft so not resource hungry. Keep an eye on just flights web site they often have special offer weekends where you can pick up a bargain
Atb
Dale
Image Image Image

4535jacks
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by 4535jacks »

Thanks for the recommendations. I have already tried both of those aircraft but had to delete the 757 due to low FPS. Unfortunately I am using a lowish spec laptop and so I am limited in what I install hence why I haven't bought any payware. Unfortunately with a baby on the way and my rw aircraft needing repairs, I don't think i will allowed to treat myself to a new pc anytime soon!

I have done a lot of trawling the Internet and found a few gems but I am keen to find some more classic airliners. Of all the aircraft I have found I think the HS748 and BAC 1-11 have to be the best and I can't believe they are free.

Thanks again,

Gary

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Gary, raise the droop as you accelerate through 225 kts and lower the droop when your reduce speed through 225 kts...Droop MUST be down at speeds below 225 kts...Anything else is dangerous. I did write a tutorial for the Trident3 and it was somewhere on DM's website. Quite a lot of people found it useful :agree:

EDITED that speed!! Getting old!!

Further EDIT Here is a download URL for that tutorial:-

http://www.petermcleland.com/dl/Trident ... torial.zip

migman29
Trident
Trident

Post by migman29 »

petermcleland wrote:Quite a lot of people found it useful :agree

Quite a lot found it useful !!,there's an understatement if ever I heard one.

Peter's tutorial is one of the best flightsim articles on the 'net.

Run The Gripper as per Peter's instructions as it really will perform and do exactly
as it says on the tin.

Well worth dowloading,printing,reading and having a go of the Trident as per.
You could see him thinking "Bleedin'pilots,don't know nuffin.All glammer" He's probably right.

A/C.2 Webber,Manston,1941,First Light by Geoff Wellum.

Rallymodeller
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Rallymodeller »

Not British, but the Manfred Jahn/Team 1049 Constellations are pretty spectacular -- their L-1649 Starliner is even used by Lufthansa for training their vintage Constellation crews. Just about every system is modelled, and it will even bite back if mishandled (run the engines at full throttle for more than a few minutes and they fail, lower the landing gear over the maximum gear speed and they lock in partially down position, and so on). They have done every civilian and military Constellation variant, and the only one without a VC is the old R7V-2/YC-121F Turbo Super Connie. There are also a boatload of repaints available. Best of all, they're freeware. You can get them at the usual sites. Make sure to check for updates, the L-1649 being Version 4.0.