Gone Phishing (or Not Really BT)

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

ChrisHunt
Concorde
Concorde

Gone Phishing (or Not Really BT)

Post by ChrisHunt »

Folks,

A quick warning; received a couple of quite plausible emails, allegedly from BT but you probably guessed isn't. Text below:

Dear BT member,

The card details we have on file for your BT Internet service needs to be re-confirmed to bill you on 21/01/2015
for your most recent service fees. For this reason, your service could be placed on hold. Please visit our Account Information pages, located at.
You must update your billing information immediately in order to avoid any interruption to your services.
Once your card information is updated, you will be charged immediately, as soon as payment is received.

You can update your card simply by clicking below:

Quite a good tip from BT is to hover the curser over the link to reveal the true address.

Regards,
Chris

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Gone Phishing (or Not Really BT)

Post by Airspeed »

And isn't the language & grammar a bit "special"?...."you will be charged immediately, as soon as payment is received" What a novel way of doing business. :lol:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

It must be the season for it. I've recently started seeing mail in my junk box referring to $10.5m coming my way. If only... 8)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Yep, I'm gettting a lot of emails from 'BT' at the moment, warning me that my internet access will be suspended if I don't renew my credit card details - I pay by direct debit 8) . I've warned a not-so-scam-savvy friend of mine about it too.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I get an average of 2 of these, purporting to come from BT, every day. I forward all of them to "Abuse at BT.com". They do absolutely nothing about and claim that they can't...Absolute bollocks! When it was BT Yahoo, they filtered out all the crap before putting it in your inbox. I refuse to believe that they can not recognise SPAM using their own logos. I can recognise it instantly so why can't they. It is just bloody lazy on their part and I shall continue to forward it to them to cause them the same nuisance that they cause me...It is very simple to do...Just have "Abuse at BT.com" in your address book...Hit Forward, type "a" (the address will appear in the box immediately)...Hit SEND...Pause for a moment to let it go and then hit DELETE. If every body does it they might take some notice :poke:

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

Me too on the spam via BT. Thanks for the tip Peter, now added to my address book. :thumbsup:

Nev

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Well my accounts are all with outlook.com and it catches almost all of these in the junk mail folder. There seems to be a load of attachments that are purporting to me final demands and invoices at the moment, but outlook.com is catching in excess of 95% for me :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

TSR2 wrote:Well my accounts are all with outlook.com and it catches almost all of these in the junk mail folder. There seems to be a load of attachments that are purporting to me final demands and invoices at the moment, but outlook.com is catching in excess of 95% for me :)
I'm afraid that changing my email address would be out of the question! It is BT that should be blocking these things just as the predessor BT Yahoo did for years.

GHD
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by GHD »

I find it best to preview emails with Mailwasher before receiving them into Outlook Express.

George

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yup.. I always used a Mailwasher in WinXP when I was with BT. It's a small price to pay for piece of mind ;)

BTW George.. I prefered the XP version to the Vista+ version. It was a damned site faster for one!! I keep the freeware 'new' version on the Vista laptop just in case MS decides it wants to confirm my Hotmail account (my standby email address is still my BT address and despite me not officially having the use of it.. it's still active and Mailwasher is invaluable for viewing activation codes). OT but by the by.. I've finally got around this problem by installing an MS Activation prog on my phone. If MS want to verify the account now.. they send one of those square pictures that doeesn't mean anything.. like a barcode. I open the prog on the phone.. take a pic of the symbol and the phone will automatically generate a verification code which I then enter on the pc. No more need of BT ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!