Your First Airfix Model?

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Your First Airfix Model?

Post by FlyTexas »

Was enjoying an early model DC-9 today in FSX and my thoughts took me back to my first Airfix model...a KLM DC-9-30.
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/AIRFIX-144-MODEL ... 1255633100
It was love at first sight when I saw her in the store. :lol: Do you remember your first Airfix model? Just curious. :)

Brian

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Your First Airfix Model?

Post by Paul K »

The first Airfix one I made myself was the P-51 Mustang aboard the P&O liner Orsova, when I was about 11. Before that, my dad made them and gave them to me. The last plastic kit I made was the Matchbox 1/72 scale Flower-class corvette, HMS Bluebell, which I still have in a display case. :)

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

Yep :agree:

Westland Whirlwind BEA livery no transparencies in that early version...they were added later.

http://www.avkits.net/kit50/airfix/reme ... lwind1.JPG
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

T6flyer
VC10
VC10

Post by T6flyer »

My Dad went on a Rugby Tour to Jersey circa 1972-73 and I remember him bringing back the Airfix BAC 1-11 kit. Think my Mum built it for me.

First model I built myself was the Airfix Me262. Think it was in a light blue plastic?

And today got a belated Birthday present from yesterday in the form of all things a AZ Model Vultee Valiant. Makes a nice change from Harvards, which are all over my study! :)

Cheers,

Martin

steelsporran
VC10
VC10

Post by steelsporran »

USS Nautilus :$
steelsporran

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Lockheed F104 starfighter. Bought from the newsagents on a Sunday morning while getting my dads papers. They didn't sell any paints so I just bought the glue and stuck it together in my room, made a bloody mess of it. Second kit was a Sepecat Jaguar that dad bought for my birthday later that year. I was 7 or 8. He got all the right paints and helped me do it and it was perfect. Good times :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

My first model was a Caterpilliar Bulldozer ..something like a D12

First plane ? P51 made by :dunno: somebody

I built only a few models in my life ... i guess fixing things became my model building.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Probably a MkI Spitfire, moulded in silver-grey, and with horrible little pips to locate the wings on the roots. Only ever did a couple of civilian aircraft.
One that sticks in my mind was a Victor. There was a joystick with stiff wires running up the display stand, so it would tilt in accordance with your input.
All left behind when I left the UK.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Avro Anson, have always had a soft spot for that one. Then 'twas an F4 Phantom. Then I skewed off into tanks for a while but could never get the hang of keeping their tracks together, then to ships with the Bismarck and finally back to a/c with a Lanc.
I recently bought the Scharnhorst for a huge amount of money in a weak moment of madness and it sits unopened in the garage along with an airbrush I confused myself into purchasing. What a dope. 8)
Alex

paulsl
Trident
Trident

Post by paulsl »

I have no idea what the first kit I made was, but well remember the Saturday morning ritual.

Receive pocket money, get bus to town & Leslie Brown's toy store. Pick an Airfix series 1 and maybe a tin of paint and bus home. Sometimes there'd be a series 2 and a walk home. Once there, get stuck and have it assembled and painted by teatime.

Happy happy days.
T6flyer wrote: First model I built myself was the Airfix Me262. Think it was in a light blue plastic?
Yes Martin it was, I remember that one. How about the Matchbox kit moulded in bright yellow? I'm darned if I can remember the airplane though. Anyone?

Paul
It's not a 'bird', it's an aeroplane or an aircraft :rant: