JATO Boeing 727

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

JATO Boeing 727

Post by Paul K »

You learn something new every day. :-O

Details here:

http://www.boeing-727.com/Data/type%20c ... 00ser.html

Yet another reason to love the 727 ! :)

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Re: JATO Boeing 727

Post by Garry Russell »

Yeah...I've seen vid of this 9Mexicana) but can't find it now....Isn't this RATO?

Anyhow have found a military RATO take off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7LErwBNobU
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Yep, looks like RATO now you come to mention it, though I can only see references to JATO in the Boeing blurb. I bet any passengers who were nervous about flying were delighted when those things kicked in. The comments to the video are interesting, particularly from the guy who flew it later on.

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Arriba!! :lol: :bandit:

Brian

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Better than abajo!
Keith

Chris Trott
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Chris Trott »

Actually, it's not. In the US, the terms are fairly specific - JATO is used to describe a solid-fueled rocket assist system whilst RATO describes a liquid-fueled one. It confused me for many years as well, but I was once shown the US Navy manual that defines them as such, but it's not available online as far as I can find.

Not only did the 727 have JATO capability, so did the DC-3 and the Convair propliners.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Garry Russell wrote:Yeah...I've seen vid of this 9Mexicana) but can't find it now....Isn't this RATO?
Chris Trott wrote:Actually, it's not. In the US, the terms are fairly specific - JATO is used to describe a solid-fueled rocket assist system whilst RATO describes a liquid-fueled one. It confused me for many years as well, but I was once shown the US Navy manual that defines them as such, but it's not available online as far as I can find.

Not only did the 727 have JATO capability, so did the DC-3 and the Convair propliners.

The first American aircraft to take off using the rocket assisted system (known as RATO) was the Ercoupe in 1941 piloted by Captain Homer.
RATO was a solid propellant booster system designed by Theodore von Kármán. By WWll the term JATO was becoming the popular term.

Anyway, RATO was Rocket and JATO , Jet.

cheers

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

FlyTexas wrote:Arriba!! :lol: :bandit:

Brian

Maybe they needed JATO because of all the stowaways trying to get to America. :lol:

Chris Trott wrote:Actually, it's not. In the US, the terms are fairly specific - JATO is used to describe a solid-fueled rocket assist system whilst RATO describes a liquid-fueled one. It confused me for many years as well, but I was once shown the US Navy manual that defines them as such, but it's not available online as far as I can find.
Chris, thanks for that. I've looked up JATO, and despite the word 'jet', it still means using rockets, so your solid vs liquid fuel explanation makes sense. Strictly speaking, I suppose real jet assisted take-off would be something like the late-model Shackleton MR3, with Viper turbojets in the outer engine nacelles.

Back to J/RATOs, here's another unlikely one:

Garry Russell
The Ministry

Post by Garry Russell »

DH did some RATO tests with a Victor B1 at Hatfield. With Sapphires and Sceptres at full blast, it was said to be about the noisiest take offs by aeroplanes ever witnessed in the UK.

http://s37.photobucket.com/user/GTwiner ... 1237584638
Garry

"In the world of virtual reality things are not always what they seem."

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Oh thats cute.
:thumbsup: