Germanwings A320 crashes in the Alps

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: Germanwings A320 crashes in the Alps

Post by 511Flyer »

Look, I'm only repeating what I saw and heard. The title given to the person on BBC TV News, was that he was "Swiss" What has that to do with "The Swiss" or Switzerland in general? No more than the fact that the pilots were German, has to do with all Germans.

:wall:

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Filonian »

Gentlemen, this topic is beginning to resemble the ramblings and hypothesising of the news/press.

Peter has it right in my mind just giving the sequence of known events.

Let us remember that tragically, all souls on board were lost, and await the eventual findings.

Graham
Last edited by Filonian on 27 Mar 2015, 11:32, edited 1 time in total.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

If anyone would have it right, it would be Peter.. no one is arguing that. Point made is that Dennis was vilified (a little) for reporting exactly what the Swiss/French Prosecutor had reported as the official sequence of events according to the BB recordings. This bloke appears to be 'the voice' of the incident and I guess it falls directly into his jurisdiction. Dennis didn't make it up or hypothesise.. this is what the official reported in the press conference ;) As Dennis said.. perhaps something was lost in translation. I really don't know :dunno:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Oh dear . No vilification intended, except of the "Public prosecutor" who jumps to conclusions which cannot have a logical basis . I prefer to wait for the BEA who, although they were much criticised in relation to the Concorde crash , are the official body charged with investigating this disaster

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Agree with that Chris. I've no doubt the Prosecutor was 'advised' but even so, there seemed to be a fair amount of speculation included in the 'detail'.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Having watched the news last night and this morning regarding the alleged circumstances to the loss of all those on board in this tragic crash nothing that is either said or thought will bring back all on board who lost their lives but it is those that are left behind that will suffer the most and until an official statement is released after a full and complete investigation has concluded then everything else at this time is pure conjecture.

My thoughts are with all involved and that includes those who have to recover what would be left of the bodies. :(

Nigel
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

tonymadge
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by tonymadge »

Well it seems that in light of the evidence they have many carriers are now going to make sure two crew are always in the cockpit UK carriers also seem to be adopting this new method, to be honest it makes sense not just in this tragic instance but because if the remaining crew member was taken ill then it could be a couple of minutes before anyone would know.
Also Co Pilot it seems from the news was given a sick note but ripped it up and went to work, he was suffering from depression but hid the fact :(
I know from my flying career on the Police Helicopter as crew we had to submit any medication we were on and there are strict rules as to what any crew member could be taking whilst being aircrew, we also had one guy who was depressed after losing a family member and was taken off flying duties until cleared back to fly. All makes sense in light of this crash :(
AMD Phenom II X4 BE 965 @ 3.80GHz
nVidia GTX 560 TI 448 Cores

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

DaveB wrote:I don't think Dennis was hypothesising Peter. His comment is the sequence of events as reported by the Public Prosecutor (mentioned by Chris above). How accurate the Prosecutors statement turns out to be will doubtless be known in the fullness of time but this is what he's said. I saw the same statement online.. perhaps from CNN.
Well they are firmly on the theory that the co-pilot did it deliberately. If I had the horrendous job of identifying the crews remains I would seek out the nose impact spot and then I would go on up the hill for quite a distance...I feel sure there would sufficient remains of his uniform to identify him. Then I would look very carefully at the pieces of his skull and neck for a small calibre bullet hole or a garrot mark. If I found either of these it would throw the suicide theory right out of the window.

However, I don't wish to talk about it any more. :S

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

While foul play via some terrorist act may be a plausible theory, I don't believe it is any more plausible than the current theories regarding the co-pilot's mental state. Air travel is still the safest form of travel and this incident is a rare one, although it has occurred in the past. The media always plays theses stories for all their worth - if it bleeds, it leads! Sorry if that is a tad crude but that is how they think, at least here in the Colonies.

At least it has forced Lufthansa to require two crew members to be in the cockpit at all times, something that the Chairman of Lufthansa claimed was not necessary at his press conference on Thursday.. He was rather pig headed about it too, stating that he knew of no other European airlines that require that. Apparently Ryanair (of all companies) and Easy Jet do and several others are now following suite.

Nigel²

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Tragic though the whole scenario is and not insulting victims or families . The industry has not changed 45+years, in that black humour was up and running within hours . 'T Boi , who wears an orange suit informed us of some going around the bazaars . We suggested to him that when the skipper goes for a leak ; he should insist on the prettiest cabin crew member watching over him ! Hopefully they will be gurls .

rgds dave f .