Boeing C-97 Stratotanker - FSX

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Boeing C-97 Stratotanker - FSX

Post by FlyTexas »

This one has Peter's name written all over it. Well, at least on the tail. :lol:

Brian

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

FlyTexas,

Is installation of C-97 easy?

Regards,

Aharon

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

barney00 wrote:Hi-
I stumbled across this website looking for information on color schemes for KC-97 Stratofreighters (Stratotankers?). We recently dived an unknown wreck off Cape Canaveral, Florida, that turned out to be a Boeing KC-97F-17-BO Stratofreighter. Due to the rarity of crashes of this aircraft type in this area, we were able to quickly identify the airframe as USAF Serial Number 51-363 (Manufacturer's Serial Number 16430) that was lost during a ditching due to engine issues on March 30, 1960. Unfortunately three crew died in the event.
In any case, I am trying to learn more about this aircraft, and in particular what she may have looked like before her demise. You can see Dayglo paint on the nose, which I read was introduced by the USAF on its tankers in the late 1950s to increase visibility.
It seems quite a few members here are experienced at producing brilliant renderings of aircraft. I am not sure if this is appropriate, but would anyone be interested in trying to do a period-correct rendering (perhaps with the actual serial and squadron number) of this particular KC-97? I would love to be able to see what this exact aircraft might have looked like in her prime, and perhaps gain permission to use that image for presentations I may give on this wreck.
Right now, we are researching the aircraft and looking to reach out to potential surviving crew members and their families to learn more about this incident, as well as inquiring about archival information, crash reports, etc.
For those that might be curious, here is a link to footage of the wrecked aircraft:

https://youtu.be/5uOXPgiIkbA

She rests in 111 meters of water and is quite a challenging dive.
Thanks in advance for any information anyone can share on this aircraft and its color schemes, etc.
Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike, and welcome to the forum. :hello:
The first few posts by a new member require admin approval (to stop spam) in case you were wondering why your posts were not showing up. I've removed the duplicate post. ;)

Hopefully one of the other members here will be able to help you out.
Dave G.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Mike and welcome :hello:

Have a look here.. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/s ... r-Uploaded

or here.. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/s ... r-download!

There's a host of info there including (possibly) the same vid of the C97 which was posted today by some strange coincidence :-O
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

Aharon wrote:FlyTexas,

Is installation of C-97 easy?

Regards,

Aharon
It's quite easy Aharon. Here are the instructions from the designer. :)

Installation: I strongly recommend you make a backup copy of your aircraft.cfg file (or any file you change or otherwise modify) prior to the modification you're about to make. In the event you don't like the change or it doesn't work, you can always revert back by using the back-up file(s) you created.

1. Extract this zip file, "FSX_MJ_C-97G_NH_ANG", to a temporary folder of your choice.

2. In your main FSX folder, open the "Boeing_C-97" folder (located here: "FSX/SimObjects/Airplanes/Boeing_C-97"), and make a copy of the folder "texture.USAF_30272". Rename it to "texture.New_Hampshire_ANG" and place it in the Boeing_C-97 folder.

3. Copy the contents in the folder "texture.New_Hampshire_ANG" (located in the folder you unzipped in step 1) and paste them into the "texture.New_Hampshire_ANG" folder you just created. When asked to overwright answer yes to all.

3. Open the aircraft.cfg file in the "Boeing_C-97" folder and copy and paste the below into the config file below the last [fltsim.XX] entry. Replace the XX in [fltsim.XX] with the next higher number in sequence.

============================================

[fltsim.XX]
title=Boeing C-97G USAF 30311
sim=C97_gen
model=C97G
panel=
sound=C97G
texture=New_Hampshire_ANG
kb_checklists=C97_check
kb_reference=C97_ref
atc_airline=AIR FORCE
atc_flight_number=30311// max 5 digits, use same as for atc_id below
ui_manufacturer=Boeing
ui_type=Military Cargo
ui_variation=NH_ANG C-97G 30311
atc_heavy=0
atc_id=30311
description="Boeing C-97G Stratofreighter 0-30311, 157th Military Airlift Group, 133rd Military Airlift Sq., Pease AFB, New Hampshire ANG, as flown by Captain Donald C. Davidson, and is presented as a salute to his seervice. This aircraft served with the NH ANG until 1968 when it was retired along with all NH ANG C-97s as they began receiving their replacement aircraft, the Douglas C-124 Globe Master. Repaint By Steve Bryant
ui_createdby="Team Strat."

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Aharon..

If you're referring to installing the C-97 itself.. it's completely painless. You've installed updates to the KC-97 and this is no different. The install includes all current patches (except patch#3). The first thing you need to do is make a backup of your original aircraft.cfg so that you can copy and paste any additional paints to the new aircraft.cfg. Then.. drag and drop all the new files from the zip into your Boeing_C-97 folder and let them overwrite. Add the additional paints from your backed-up aircraft.cfg and away you go.
You can download patch#3 and add that later. It corrects one paint (the US flag was reversed) and changes some html files.

All you need for this to work is version 1 already installed and I know you have that ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

barney00
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by barney00 »

DaveB wrote:Hi Mike and welcome :hello:

Have a look here.. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/s ... r-Uploaded

or here.. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/s ... r-download!

There's a host of info there including (possibly) the same vid of the C97 which was posted today by some strange coincidence :-O
ATB
DaveB B)smk
Hi Dave-
Thanks. I just went over and registered but seems like I can't post. Yup, that's the same video...it was posted on Warbirds forum, so it is likely making the rounds.
So all these renderings are based on the Microsoft Flight Simulator program? Sorry if that's overly ignorant...all this Sim stuff is totally new to me and I don't really know how it works. Is it easy to learn and work with? I am seeing some really cool stuff and would love to get an image of this aircraft.
Thanks again!
Cheers,
Mike

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

FlyTexas,

Thanks for very kind explanation but I hate to break bad news to you. I am not referring to installation of a livery or texture. I am referring to C-97 model base being added to same folder where KC-97 is which concerns me greatly. But thanks for fantastic explanation that I am sure will be of big help to others who do not know how to add liveries.

Dave, thanks for explanations on difficult degree of installing C-97 to the same KC-97 folder. I am impressed you remember everybody's list of planes that he or she has in FSX or FS2004. Smiling.

Regards,

Aharon

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hiya Mike :hello:

I'm not sure if SoH have some sort of delay process where new members have to be 'approved'. Given time.. I'm sure you'll be able to post ;) Looking at the video.. the wreck would appear to be painted with the red nose and probably.. red fin too. I'll have a fish around and see what I can find ;) Oh, and yes.. this is all flight simulator stuff. It gets a little 'anorakie' at times but we're from all walks of life with a common interest in aviation.. wanna-be pilots for most of us though some members both here and there have either flown or still do :)

Aharon..
It's odd that I can remember what type of aircraft simmers like to fly but I can barely remember what I did last week. Something has gone wrong somewhere :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Mike..

What is your username at Simouthouse? If you're not able to post tomorrow.. I'll try and speed things along for you. One of the mods has already had a look for your username here (as in, the one you use here) but you obviously used a different one :)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage