Boeing C-97 Stratotanker - FSX

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Boeing C-97 Stratotanker - FSX

Post by Airspeed »

Love that smilie!

Nude shots weren't really worrying me...."Nothing to see here, move along" springs to mind.
My concern is that the block to be busted is mine :doh: :worried:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

hey, if anyone so much as touches one of the remaining hairs on your head,.. you just give me a call. ;)

Now BOT

I downloaded the C-97 and took her up for a nice explorer flight.
So I must thank the developers for all their hard work and attention to detail... it's looking exceptionally good for a released WIP.. :)

Cheers,

Joe

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

airboatr wrote: I downloaded the C-97 and took her up for a nice explorer flight.
So I must thank the developers for all their hard work and attention to detail... it's looking exceptionally good for a released WIP.. :)
Yep, that sums it up nicely Joe. And there is more to come; not only development of the model as a whole, but additional variants, including the KC-97L with two yet engines attached. Freeware developers never cease to amaze me, the amount of work they put in just for the love of it. By the way, do you have Manfred's C-47 ? Equally superb, with an astonishing vintage flightdeck on it's way from Jan Visser.

:cheers:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Hi Paul,
Yes the fsx version V2 is installed. I had to take her up as its been a while ... after playing fireman for the first 15 minutes I was able to play pilot for awhile ... ;)

It sports a neat / clean avionics package with which I can navigate all the :shhh: downunder scenery... I recently installed. :OB:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

I SAW that! :worried:
Do you have an entry Visa?
You should be flying an Intruder, not a C-47. :agree:

It's OK men, stand down, his "downunder" is probably only Milford Sound; he's off to play with Peter.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Airspeed wrote:I SAW that! :worried:
And I saw this :Dance:

Airspeed wrote: Do you have an entry Visa?
No.

I have a Platinum Visa .. :worried:

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

You Chasps wot got this (and wasn't there another ex A2A?), may be interested in this over at FlightSim:
FSX - FSX Sound
FSX A2A WoS Boeing 377 Sound Update Fix
[ Download | View ]

Name: b377wossndupd_fxd.zip
Size: 19,027,067 Date: 06-27-2013 Downloads: 604

FSX A2A WoS Boeing 377 Sound Update Fix (optional). In this release the RPM has been adjusted slighly slower. The rpm3 has been brought down by 5% and the rpm2 by 7%. After a little testing it seems this might be a little more accurate. There are so few 4360's flying that it's hard to tell. According to Math the frequency at full power should be 1.55 times higher than a R2800. 28 cylinder vs 18 cylinder. For being such a monster it has a good growl. There is no need to download the original file. This is the whole thing: this is a sound file replacement set for the Wings of Silver Boeing 377 Stratocruiser by A2A Simulations. These files were recorded from the 4360 powered Dreadnaught Seafury at Reno air races 2012. The sound files were then pitch shifted for proper RPM and filtered to simulate the more muffled sound of the exhaust system/turbo-setup on the Stratocruiser. These files are being released as open source you can modify them at your pleasing for your own projects as well. It should be good for any heavy type twin or four engine project. By Keith Fisher.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Thanks for the HU Mike ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

barney00
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by barney00 »

Hi-
I stumbled across this website looking for information on color schemes for KC-97 Stratofreighters (Stratotankers?). We recently dived an unknown wreck off Cape Canaveral, Florida, that turned out to be a Boeing KC-97F-17-BO Stratofreighter. Due to the rarity of crashes of this aircraft type in this area, we were able to quickly identify the airframe as USAF Serial Number 51-363 (Manufacturer's Serial Number 16430) that was lost during a ditching due to engine issues on March 30, 1960. Unfortunately three crew died in the event.
In any case, I am trying to learn more about this aircraft, and in particular what she may have looked like before her demise. You can see Dayglo paint on the nose, which I read was introduced by the USAF on its tankers in the late 1950s to increase visibility.
It seems quite a few members here are experienced at producing brilliant renderings of aircraft. I am not sure if this is appropriate, but would anyone be interested in trying to do a period-correct rendering (perhaps with the actual serial and squadron number) of this particular KC-97? I would love to be able to see what this exact aircraft might have looked like in her prime, and perhaps gain permission to use that image for presentations I may give on this wreck.
Right now, we are researching the aircraft and looking to reach out to potential surviving crew members and their families to learn more about this incident, as well as inquiring about archival information, crash reports, etc.
For those that might be curious, here is a link to footage of the wrecked aircraft:

https://youtu.be/5uOXPgiIkbA

She rests in 111 meters of water and is quite a challenging dive.
Thanks in advance for any information anyone can share on this aircraft and its color schemes, etc.
Cheers,
Mike