VE Day Remembrance

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

VE Day Remembrance

Post by Kevin Farnell »

I've just been observing the two minute silence, whilst watching the remembrance service on the BBC.
All was quiet, except that I had a Spitfire over my house at the exactly the same time. Something a little surreal that the remembrance silence was broken by a Rolls Royce Merlin (not that I'm complaining).

Regards

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: VE Day Remembrance

Post by airboatr »

An auspicious yet poignant sound it must have been, Kevin.

Salute

Joe

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

I imagine that was quite a moment, Kevin. What's hard for me to imagine is how everyone must have felt on VE day. The war had dragged on for some many years you'd think people had forgotten what peace felt like. What a day that must have been.

Brian

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

I do remember it vaguely...There was a lot of hugging and kissing, but I was only 12 at the time and at Grammar School...It was a mixed school and there were certainly a lot of girls that I would have liked to hug but.... :worried:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

The TV items about this and '14-'18 have saddened me, thinking how humans haven't found another way.
It's barbaric, no matter how much technology is involved, and civilians are still getting killed and maimed from leftovers of long-finished wars.

I'm not opposed to peace celebrations though; three cheers for every effort in every campaign.

fran65
Lightning
Lightning

Post by fran65 »

Hi,
thank you for sharing your feeling, sirs.
Italy celebrates April 25 1945 as Liberation Day from nazi-fascism. We came out of World War 2 in the knee, after 20 years of madness of fascism and 2 years of partisan war of liberation. To me WWII is still an open wound in Italy.
RIP all of them :(
Francesco

robbie
VC10
VC10

Post by robbie »

Last Tuesday we had the pleasure to watch, live on TV, the Canadian vets parade in Wageningen, Netherlands, and what a turn out it was for those old troops, they all rode in WW11 restored vehicles, very touching to see all the children giving them flowers and drinks just as it would have been 70 years ago.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... e24258198/