FSX

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

thomasburnside
Trident
Trident

FSX

Post by thomasburnside »

Just a quick question concerning FSX. I tried it a few years ago and I didnt like it I thin its mainly because I couldnt find a 2D panel. So I was Just wondering is there away you can get a 2D panel on there and is it available for all aircraft.
Vulcan XH558 DONT Let Her Die She Wants To Fly.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: FSX

Post by DaveB »

Tom..

With older models that come with a 2D panel, you can still select it from FSX although you can't 'move around' as well as in FS9. The vast majority of FSX native models don't come with 2D panels I'm afraid.
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

thomasburnside
Trident
Trident

Post by thomasburnside »

So if I was to download the UKMIL Buccaneer or another FSX aircraft that would not have a 2D panel.
Vulcan XH558 DONT Let Her Die She Wants To Fly.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

They usually say if they have a 2D panel or not Tom. If they don't.. you'll have to download it and see then decide if you wish to keep it or not. In my experience with these things.. the vast majority of FSX native models do not have a 2D panel.. 2D drop down windows yes but no panel. If it's a port-over (eg.. an FS9 model dragged into FSX).. then it probably does have a 2D panel.

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hope you don't mind me putting my penny worth in this thread :worried: Tom, a/c designed for FSX don't come with a 2D cockpit unfortunately though say you decided to import Ricks Viscount or Vanguard into FSX then that can be done and you would have a 2D Cockpit but the downside to that is there are no side cockpit views instead it is just a full screen view of the outside world.

Why the developers decided to do away with 2D views in FSX is beyond me as I still think that the Viscount 2D Panel is by far superior than the FSX Just Flight model after viewing some screen shots of it thanks to Frazers' excellent work. :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

delta_lima
Viscount
Viscount

Post by delta_lima »

Additionally, some FS9 portovers (having 2D panels/views) do indeed have working sideviews.

DM's Trident and BACs both show the side/angle/rear views when the 2D panel mode is selected. I'm not a "Comet man", so I can't comment, but I expect that model to do likewise. The DN VC10 shows wing views, but no side views. There are a few others that have sideviews, but just can't place them.

Regardless, as Dave points out, most FS9 2D panels port over quite nicely - provided no FS2000 or older gauges are used. Examples, in addition to the aforementioned, include most HJG planes, all the Calclassic propliners, Rick's Viscount and HS.748, and few other random airliners I can't think of off the top. I prefer flying airliners in 2D panels, but fighters in VC modes, so I can happily have my cake and eat it in FSX. That's in FSX + Acceleration, too, with DX10 selected - about as finicky as one can stretch FS9 models - and they run just fine.

dl
Quaere verum - Seek the truth.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

DM's Trident and BACs both show the side/angle/rear views when the 2D panel mode is selected.
That's strange, inside angles etc never showed up on mine! :dunno:

Regards
Nigel
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

delta_lima
Viscount
Viscount

Post by delta_lima »

Nigel H-J wrote:
DM's Trident and BACs both show the side/angle/rear views when the 2D panel mode is selected.
That's strange, inside angles etc never showed up on mine! :dunno:

Regards
Nigel
I'm not making this stuff up .... here's some shots from the 2D panel view mode:

BAC 1-11: front quarter views

Trident 3: front quarter views

VC10: (note: front quarter views are just empty pans, there are only rear quarter views, and a rearward view - which I never understood why such an unrealistic view was included in FS9, but there you have it.

Yes, am aware of the chromed bits on Trident. More annoying is the lovely control yoke all chromed over. I suspect dx10 is the culprit here.... :'( Here is a VC shot:

cheers,

dl

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

DL, some of the textures are in 8-bit format, try converting them to DXT3 with Imagetool. That will get rid of the chrome look. ;)
Dave G.

delta_lima
Viscount
Viscount

Post by delta_lima »

DaveG wrote:DL, some of the textures are in 8-bit format, try converting them to DXT3 with Imagetool. That will get rid of the chrome look. ;)
Righteous!!!!

My Tri 2/3s are now suitably de-pimped and back to normal, sane colours. Though it crossed my mind to leave the landing gear rims chromed ... :bandit: B)smk :rock: ... but Mr. Maltby et al can rest assured I followed through on no such abomination ... :hide:

thanks again DaveG. BTW, your Hunters probably get the most frequent flogging of any of my British types ... :cheers:

Daniel