Web-Footed Wonderland - From New Zealand Downunder

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Mark C
Vulcan
Vulcan

Web-Footed Wonderland - From New Zealand Downunder

Post by Mark C »

Been a while since I last posted here at CBFS.

No problem/s .... just "BUSY" .... assisting Tony with HJG .... you know how it is :)

I dunno if folk here might be interested, but, here´s the link, to a historical article I recently wrote (and constantly update) and posted on the HJG forum about the history of the GRUMMAN amphibian operations (the GOOSE, WIDGEON, and MALLARD aircraft) between 1950 .... when it all started .... and until relatively recent times ....

"ECHOES OF AN ERA - THE NEW ZEALAND GRUMMAN AMPHIBIAN STORY"
http://tonymadgehjg.proboards.com/threa ... s-research

Both the GRUMMAN G44 WIDGEON (known as GOSLING to the RAF), and the GRUMMAN G21-A GOOSE, saw active service with RAF COASTAL COMMAND during the 1940´s .... in fact one of the NZ operated WIDGEON¨ (ZK-BAY C/N 1362), and one of the NZ operated GOOSE´ (ZK-ENY C/N 1145), were actually operated by the ROYAL NAVY on lend-lease from the USA .... as FP-462 and FP-495 respecively.

GRUMMAN G44 WIDGEON/GOSLING ZK-BAY (ex Royal Navy FP-462) was tragically written-off in a fatal accident on Auckland´s Waitemata Harbour on Decembner 24th 1970 and whilst in service with NZ´s MOUNT COOK AIRLINES .... but .... GRUMMAN G21-A GOOSE ZK-ENY (ex Royal Navy FP-495) still survives today, stored in Munich, Germany, in the ownership of Klaus DIETER MARTIN since 1995.

I hope folk here might enjoy my above-linked article .... relating to the web-footed wonderland of New Zealand GRUMMAN amphibians ;) .... sadly a by-gone, but, by no means forgotten era downunder.

Mark C
HJG
Last edited by Mark C on 15 Oct 2015, 13:46, edited 2 times in total.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but what you thought you heard is not what I meant !

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Web-Footed Wonderland - From New Zealand Downunder

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Mark,
Good one!
I've read a slab of your article...that's a heap of work you've done! :thumbsup:
That pilot Ladd was quite a character, eh?
I made the 1/72 Airfix model of the Gosling, so it was interesting to read that much more about it.
I've bookmarked it so that I can dip in there again.
I've also sent a PM, please have a look.

Mark C
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Mark C »

"THANKS" for that Mike .... and PM received with appreciation, details noted, and replied to also BTW ;)

Aside from presenting the just a historical account of the New Zealand GRUMMAN amphibian operations .... in subsequent commentary, per reply postings to the labove inked thread, I´ve also added a couple of the best YOU TUBE videos I could locate (including one actually relating to SEA BEE AIR´s operations from their downtown Auckland waterfront base in New Zealand) relating to both the GOOSE and WIDGEON/GOSLING .... and which will hopefully convey just what these fantastic little aircraft were like to fly on .... the "NOISE" .... the "SPRAY" .... and the "EXHILARATING SENSATION" associated with any waterborne T/O .... WOW !!!! :thumbsup:

I consider myself "privilleged" to have enjoyed "many" experiences flying on both of these great little amphibious aircraft .... experiences I treasure (even remembering bad days) and which I very much doubt I´ll get the chance to enjoy again .... despite 1 of our former SEA BEE AIR WIDGEON´s (ZK-AVM) currently being restored to flying condition in Auckland.

I dont think many folk in the UK might be able to easily relate to these aircraft .... since (although do stand to be corrected here), so far as I´m aware, there´s never been a civil operator of either type in the UK. SO THEN .... and comming back to myself and my own experiences at least .... these little aircraft really represent a bi-gone era, but, one I hope I´ve captured within my presentation .... per text, images, and thevideo links .... in order to share with you all.

In addition to this .... and again per subsequnt reply postings to parts 1 & 2 of my main text .... I´ve also presented the GRUMMAN WIDGEON, from an FS perspective (since a reasonably good version of this aircraft "IS" available as FS freeware), and overflying some of the routes (in FS) that I once flew regularly with SEA BEE AIR across Aucklands Hauraki Gulf .... along with some of own photogrtaphs of the airlines operations at Auckland.

Finally .... and thanks to Tony MADGE for permision to do this .... I´ve also added a link to a website from where folk, if they´re interested, may obtain a copy of the recently published book "A DEVIATION FROM THE NORM" .... by Norm SANSON .... and within which he relates, often hilariously, his first-hand experiences flying both the GOOSE and WIDGEON, in New Zealand, and within the Pacific islands, over 17 years .... and which is a book I can very "strongly recommend" to all aviation enthused folk ;)

Mark C
HJG
Last edited by Mark C on 20 Oct 2015, 02:07, edited 1 time in total.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but what you thought you heard is not what I meant !

Mark C
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Mark C »

That pilot Ladd was quite a character, eh?
OH YEAH .... captain Fred LADD was "quite a lad" alright :agree: :lol: ;)

Mark C
HJG

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Mark,

Is that the same type of plane flown by some local Florida based airline that crashed onto waters off Miami's shores after take off from waters of Miami port for flight from Miami to Bahamas few years ago? I saw it somewhere on documentary tv.

Regards,

Aharon

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Aharon wrote:Mark,

Is that the same type of plane flown by some local Florida based airline that crashed onto waters off Miami's shores after take off from waters of Miami port for flight from Miami to Bahamas few years ago? I saw it somewhere on documentary tv.

Regards,

Aharon
There are several in the article, Aharon, which are you asking about?

Mark C
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by Mark C »

Is that the same type of plane flown by some local Florida based airline that crashed onto waters off Miami's shores
"NO" .... the accident (I think) you´re referring to is the one that occurred to a GRUMMAN G111 MALLARD operated CHALKS OCEAN AIRWAYS ....

Cracks In The System - Chalk's Ocean Airways Flight 101
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k33Jiwpbzzw

Like the GRUMMAN HU-16 ALBATROSS .... the MALLARD is larger and quite a different aircraft (a later design) from either the GOOSE or WIDGEON/GOSLING.

Mark C
HJG

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Airspeed,

Mark answered my question correctly.

Airspeed and Mark, please forgive me for lack of advanced knowledge on this type of plane especially I never knew that Mallard and Albatross were actually different planes YET both planes looked alike and similar!!

Regards,

Aharon

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Aharon,
Please accept my apologies.
You directed your question to Mark, not me.
Having read several parts of his article, I was aware that a number of different amphibians were included.
I thought that your question would be difficult to answer under those circumstances.
I thought that further details would be needed, but I was wrong. Again, sorry.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Airspeed,

No no need to apologize. You have not done anything wrong. Those forums are to strive for intellectual discussion on history of aviation and anybody can speak on that matter. Smiling :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Regards,

Aharon