Snowmegedon II

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Snowmegedon II

Post by nigelb »

Er, don't plan on visiting the Colonial capital city any time soon. For all intent and purposes the city is closed. No flights at all, the Metro (tube) has closed for the weekend and may be closed on Monday, no museums open, no hockey or basketball games and on and on/ We have a mere 2 to 3 feet of snow (61-90 centipedes or whatever they are) and it is not finished yet Even snow plows and fire engines are getting stuck in this stuff. Oh, almost forgot to mention the winds - gusting to 35 mph which fits the definition of a blizzard with visabliity under 1/4 mile. . Started Friday after lunch and not expected to end until late tonight..

Now last Wednesday night when we got a dusting to and inch at rush hour, it took some people 6 hours or more to get home. We can really handle the white stuff here, can't we? I am glad I am retired so I don't have to go out unless there is an emergency like running out of beer or maybe toilet paper. Yes, in that order! :agree:

Nigel²

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Snowmegedon II

Post by airboatr »

Ah yes, reminds me of the blizzard of 78'. Dad sent us out to dig the car out. ... first thing we had to do was find it!

stay warm, Nigel. .. it's perfect weather to sit in front of a fire and roast some marshmallows. Ummm.

it's cold down here in Florida, they say we're heading into the thirties, .... almost :OT: , init?

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I've just had a look at the Times Square webcam. It's 3.45 am over there and all sensible folks should be abed. It looks very wintry !

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hope you and yours come through well, Nigel.
We've seen footage on Aussie TV from our reporters on the spot. We could use some precipitation, but not that kind, or that much, thank you!
Don't forget the sun screen, Joe.

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

....... *-) shouldn't that sunscreen crack of his have been in the other colored font he uses?

robbie
VC10
VC10

Post by robbie »

That was quite a storm Nigel, they say it's the second worst on record.
It missed my island completely and moved off to the south east, in fact we still haven't seen hardly any snow this winter...YET!!, temp dropped to -22c last night so I kept plenty of logs on the fire.

Stay hunkered down Nigel, it's all over bar the clean up. :thumbsup:

Robbie.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

robbie wrote:

Stay hunkered down Nigel, it's all over bar the clean up. :thumbsup:

Robbie.
Yes the really fun part. Got a start today but it will take a long time to clean the driveway and get the snow off the car. For kicks I measured the snow depth in 3 places and averaged them. - 30 inches! Oh well , cleaning that lot will be good exercise but I would rather sit on the couch with a beer or a cuppa Rosie Lee and watch the wall to wall coverage of the "Blizzard of 2016."

Thanks everyone for your kind words of support!

Nigel²

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Keep an eye out for one of the young entrepreneurs, 20 bucks is cheaper than a trip to the chiropractor :agree:

Jon.M
VC10
VC10

Post by Jon.M »

Hey, chiropractors have to eat too. :poke:

Seriously though shovelling snow has a high risk of heart attacks, due to heavy upper body work in cold air. Paying a kid to do it is much cheaper than a funeral.

Jon

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Jon :hello:
I'm not doubting you at all, but where did you learn that?

*-) an excuse for not gardening in the winter?