New Base to Replace Waddo Airshow

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

New Base to Replace Waddo Airshow

Post by Nigel H-J »

Watching the news last night there was a report that RAF Scampton is being considered to host the 2017 air show instead of Waddington due to their fears over security.

I think that Scampton would be ideal choice as many would not have to travel through Lincoln to get there. Remember that Ben was really fed up one year when he had to turn round and go home after being stuck on the A15 a few miles from Lincoln when trying to get to Waddington for the airshow but couldn't.

Just found it!

http://thelincolnite.co.uk/2016/02/reac ... -air-show/

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TobyV
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: New Base to Replace Waddo Airshow

Post by TobyV »

Depends which direction you are coming from! I used to live in Rugby, so I was approaching from the south. Last time I went to Waddo with a friend though, we were coming from the Manchester area so we did have to go through it. Nice city, I remember a bit of a hold up but nothing too severe I don't think *-)

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Yes.. all major air shows can be like this. I remember leaving Stoke some years ago at around 8am thinking I'd have more than enough time to get into Fairford for RIAT. At a little after 10am.. traffic ground to a halt some 7miles short of the airfield.. maybe less. Could have been 4miles.. can't remember now. Anyway, we managed to get in just after 1pm!! To say I was angry is an understatement :rant:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

delta558
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by delta558 »

You should have seen Pershore (Throckmorton) last year - we were there early and on site right at the start but people were still waiting to get in mid-afternoon! A combination of the 'Vulcan effect' and single-lane roads leading up to the one entrance onto the site, it's put me off going this year even though I would expect lower vehicle numbers.