1984 Big Brother Windows 10

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

hobby
Concorde
Concorde

1984 Big Brother Windows 10

Post by hobby »

How extraordinary!! Just browsing the web this afternoon when suddenly Microsoft (I hope!) switched off my computer and installed Windows 10.

Has anyone else has W10 imposed on them?

Will my FSX run OK under W10?

Advice welcome.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: 1984 Big Brother Windows 10

Post by blanston12 »

It happened to me also. Been using W7hp happly for some time, those pesky 'upgrade to W10 now' prompts kept coming up but I kept cancelling them, even the ones where it said 'do you want to upgrade now or later', with no decline button except the X in the corner of the window (which I pressed). Then one day I left it on and open for a few hours, and came back, it was just finishing up the upgrade. Since then I have been looking for a good reason to revert it but have not found one, it seams to work ok for me, so far. My old copy of FSX seams to work fine, have not tried FS2004 yet.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

hobby wrote:How extraordinary!! Just browsing the web this afternoon when suddenly Microsoft (I hope!) switched off my computer and installed Windows 10.

Has anyone else has W10 imposed on them?

Will my FSX run OK under W10?

Advice welcome.
I keep fighting it off on my wife's W7 laptop, even with GWX the updates keep trying, so I have switch auto update off & each month I review which KB's are listed & hide them; KB3035583 & KB 2952664 are the worst offenders & KB 3021917 has not appeared since initial cancellation.
Good luck
Keith

paulsl
Trident
Trident

Post by paulsl »

This works just fine :agree:

and you might like ShieldsUp! from the same site.

HTH, Paul
It's not a 'bird', it's an aeroplane or an aircraft :rant:

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Many thanks Paul ;) .
I have always cancelled it, but now knowing that it will upgrade without consent if left on its own for a long period, I've activated the stopper.
Sometimes, I leave the unit on overnight to download big files. I would have been horridfied to find W10 installed, though of course it can be reversed if you get onto it in under 30 days.

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Dev One wrote: I have switch auto update off & each month I review which KB's are listed & hide them; KB3035583 & KB 2952664 are the worst offenders & KB 3021917 has not appeared since initial cancellation.
Good luck
Keith
I deleted the same updates and hid them, just like you Keith. I haven't had any annoying pop ups nagging me to get W10 since.
I've also switched off auto update and check manually. I have no interest in W10, I love my W7 64bit Pro.
I believe that a lot of the so called 'updates' to W7, W8 and W8.1 were not updates at all, but Microsoft pre-installing much of W10. These have amounted to around 6.5Gb, prompting complaints from many people having to pay surcharges to their broadband provider for going over their monthly allowance.
I regularly buy Computer Active magazine and it is excellent at giving advice on how to block/avoid/remove all of this nonsense that Microsoft gets up to.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

WarHorse47
Comet
Comet

Post by WarHorse47 »

Gents,

You may want to take a look at GWX Control.

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/0 ... emove.html.

it prevents any notices for Win10 and warns you if MS attempts to download any Win10 components. It allows you to reverse the process should you decide to install Win10 down the road. It works great on my Win8.1 machine and the wife's Win7.0 machine and its done an excellent job.

--WH

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Since win 10 is free, (dare I) may I suggest you do the update and allow it to install and then validate your copy, write down the license and burn an iso.
Then roll back your pc and you'll be back to win 7.
There may come a time you'll want/need it.

I've done it.. :dunno:

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

The roll back thing - not 100% accurate, it left me with all sorts of annoying little errors. I ended up in a Format C: situation and reinstalled W7. That was last October. Even now I am not fully up to snuff.
Alex

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

Well, I don't have unlimited bandwidth, I have 15GB/month which I pay for. MS wants to walk in whenever they feel like it, and push loads of data to my machine and then ask me do I want to install it. They used to ask me did I want to download it, and I could choose to postpone that until next month's bandwidth allowance kicked in. If I had Win 10, it would be downloaded whether I authorised it or not.
No thanks. I am staying with Win7x64
MikeW