It's Time for a Change.

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

It's Time for a Change.

Post by Nigel H-J »

Tonight sees that ridiculous effort of us having to put the clocks back an hour and the nights draw in earlier.

No-one in Government it seems wants to rid us of this stupid outdated practice. The moving of the clocks was first introduced during World War One by Germany and Austria, and then by the allies, to save on coal usage.

I think it is about time that we stopped having to change the clocks back as I can see there is no value in doing so.

Now going to get the car handbook to see how to change the onboard clock....must remember that I don't have to change the satelite clock and must find the knob that fell off the mantle piece clock to wind the hand back or should I stop it for an hour? *-) :lol: :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Re: It's Time for a Change.

Post by cstorey »

I cannot agree with you at all. I remember well the experiment in the late 1960s when BST was retained throughout the year. In winter ( in Somerset where I lived at the time ) it was still dark at 9 a.m. which was both dispiriting and dangerous . The idiot MPs didn't realise this, because guess what ? they only know about London which is of course in the SE corner and therefore gets lighter significantly earlier than places further west and north ( between 19 and 21 minutes earlier in December than here in Cheshire, and if one goes as far north as Glasgow or west to Belfast the gap is about 42 minutes ) . However, where I would agree with you is that GMT is retained far too long in the Spring, and a change to BST could easily be made at, at the latest, the end of February

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Nigel, you would have to live in Queensland if you came to Australia.
They refuse to have DST up there.
We put our clocks forward on 2nd October this year, and they won't go back for ages.

I remember waiting for the afternoon bus to get home from school, I had to change just outside Greenford, and all the buses were full of Greenford Grammar kids.
I waited in the dark, all the traffic was using headlights and I was bxxxx frozen.
Huddling close to my Benson & Hedges never really warmed me up much. :|
What you really need in the UK is Hibernation time, so you can skip the cold weather completely. :agree:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Back when Indiana didn't change the time but Ohio did, a friend of mine would have to leave two hours ahead of time , to drive an hour trip to work just to be on time at work.
At the end of the work day. He would arrive back home in Indiana at nearly the precise time he left work in Ohio.
Traffic permitting of course.. Sometimes mind you he would travel back in time if he arrived early...

Put that in your pipe and smoke it .. Mr KOFF KOFF :agree:

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Here in California we change our clocks next weekend. Personally I always though it silly, the week after the time change everyone is a bit off kilter and traffic accidents go up as a result. I would rather they just pick one time DST or standard time and stick with it all year.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

blanston12 wrote:Here in California we change our clocks next weekend. Personally I always though it silly, the week after the time change everyone is a bit off kilter and traffic accidents go up as a result. I would rather they just pick one time DST or standard time and stick with it all year.
To be honest with California being so much further south than the UK I've never really seen the point as the variation in day length is much less. Shortest day in London is ~8 hours vs ~10 hours for LA, longest for London is ~16.5 vs ~14.5 for LA.

basys
VC10
VC10

Post by basys »

Hi Folks
Nigel H-J wrote:Tonight sees that ridiculous effort of us having to put the clocks back an hour and the nights draw in earlier.
No-one in Government it seems wants to rid us of this stupid outdated practice.
The moving of the clocks was first introduced during World War One by Germany and Austria, and then by the allies, to save on coal usage.
I think it is about time that we stopped having to change the clocks back as I can see there is no value in doing so.
Nigel,
you've got this entirely a about t. ;)

Mid-day == Sun highest in sky, (@12:00 hrs).
GMT mid-day == Sun highest in sky, (@12:00 hrs at longitude 0.00).
BST == GMT+1 == Sun highest in sky, (@13:00 hrs).

BST was the adopted time correction, (i.e. puting the clocks forward).

HTH
ATB
Paul
I've never felt so frustrated....... died so frequently/spectacularly/or needlessly....... yet had so much fun, in a long time.
Flight's Landing Challenges - Earn your wings !

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

SkippyBing wrote: To be honest with California being so much further south than the UK I've never really seen the point as the variation in day length is much less. Shortest day in London is ~8 hours vs ~10 hours for LA, longest for London is ~16.5 vs ~14.5 for LA.
As it is right now, its dark when my alarm goes off for me to getup and head to work, and I watch sunset on the train heading home, without changing back it in a month it would also be dark when i leave for work and leave the office. With the time change at least I see the sun in the morning. The refrain we usually here from supporters of DST is "we don't want our kids walking to school in the dark", not that anybody lets there kids walk to school anymore.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

SkippyBing
Concorde
Concorde

Post by SkippyBing »

blanston12 wrote:
SkippyBing wrote: To be honest with California being so much further south than the UK I've never really seen the point as the variation in day length is much less. Shortest day in London is ~8 hours vs ~10 hours for LA, longest for London is ~16.5 vs ~14.5 for LA.
As it is right now, its dark when my alarm goes off for me to getup and head to work, and I watch sunset on the train heading home, without changing back it in a month it would also be dark when i leave for work and leave the office. With the time change at least I see the sun in the morning. The refrain we usually here from supporters of DST is "we don't want our kids walking to school in the dark", not that anybody lets there kids walk to school anymore.
Far one, what would be the effect if you didn't bother moving it forwards in the summer?
I spend Nov - Mar leaving and arriving home in the dark, what's worse is I'm driving east in the morning and west in the evening so when the sun does appear it's right in my eyes!!

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

I walked to school and back home through 3 feet of snow .. And it was up hill both ways.. :agree: