FRS.1 WIP...

Links to Classic British Flightsim themed images only please.
Please post in jpg or png format and no bigger than 1024 x 768

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

DaveB
The Ministry

FRS.1 WIP...

Post by DaveB »

Been fiddling with this for a couple of days..

Never liked the shine on the Wilco FRS.1 much.. never liked the model much but it's the only FRS.1 knocking around so needs must :cpu: This paint currently depicts 716 of 899NAS but may turn into something else :lol:
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Henk Schuitemaker
Meteor
Meteor

Re: FRS.1 WIP...

Post by Henk Schuitemaker »

Looking good, I am specially interested because I took photos of the real things with this color scheme and code "716". I have XZ494/716 from Scampton, July 1991 and ZE698/716 from Fairford, July 1993. Which one are you painting?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Hi Henk :hello:

Time-wise.. smack in the middle. XZ494/716 Jul '92 vintage (at the moment) but I need underwing shots from the same period to confirm registration marks (if any). During the Falklands conflict, reg marks under the wings were painted out as were RN titles and fin squadron markings. Warpaint#75 is currently winging it's way through the post for more reference :cpu:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

A couple more..

A bit disappointed with the model/maps in that I can't get the detail I want to fit properly and some parts that DO fit can't be the right colour. Typical AH attention to detail!! 8) This said.. I think it's the most accurate paint for this model available even though a lot of detail is either missing or incorrect :lol:

Does anyone know why AH added a JH7 CBLS carrier to the centre hard-point when you select tanks?? I've only ever seen one pic with this fitted and it's on a twin-holer on static display 8)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Henk Schuitemaker
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Henk Schuitemaker »

Dave, I know the feeling. I had to cope with mapping issues when painting the AH/JF Meteor. I agree despite those limitations your work is better than what came out of the box, are you willing to share ?

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

Sure Henk :thumbsup: I keep seeing little things and doing the odd tweak. Unfortunately, the panel lines on the rear fuse were (are) out and by some degree. When I'm trying to get something close.. I use lineups.. black lines drawn around and between things so that I can get one side right then put the lineup lines on the other side at a known reference point and all should be good. I looked at it from the rear and SHITE!! The panel lines are about 12 pixels out :wall:
I really wish I could do the Doppler panel in between the 2 blade aerials under the cockpit but there's something pulling the middle of it aft directly where the two halves join. Not sure if it's stray poly's or what. Solid colours are fine as long as you don't want additional detail!
Also.. the right outer plyon has no placards even though there are 4 sets (one for each outer rail) on the map. They pylon has panel lines so I reckon the placards are in the wrong place 8) Wonder if Pat was a beta tester :lol:
There are other little bits I'd like to add but the model isn't playing. That said.. I'll try a few more things and when I get fed up with banging my head against a wall.. you'll be more than welcome to a copy.

I've gotta say that the paints you've produced for the meatbox are better than those that came with the model. I keep downloading and adding them even if I'm not flying the model :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

Also "knocking around" Dave, is this one from UKMIL. Not brilliant by payware standards, but it flies ok, and it's free to members.

Den.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I have that somewhere Den. It's much easier to forgive shortcomings on freeware stuff.. especially old freeware stuff ;)

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

DaveB wrote: Image
I like that one ! :thumbsup:

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

TAVM :thumbsup: It looks much better with ships in the background to distract your attention :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage