RTW Leg8...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

RTW Leg8...

Post by petermcleland »

From Bangkok to Calcutta:-

Tucking the wheels away as I...

...take off from Bangkok.

The altitude offered by P3D flightplanner is 8000 feet so I have leveled at that and...

...settled in the fast cruise with 33 ins of MAP and 2400 RPM

At 8000 feet altitude today this sets the levers at Throttle 66%, Props 80% and Mixture 40%.

The vis is fine here but I've looked at the METAR for Calcutta and the vis there is very poor at 1.6 nms

This breast like jutting out to the left on the GPS map is Yangon, Burma...I switched the Tanks to AUX when the MAINs dropped to 95% and I will leave them feeding down to 5%...Then if I subtract the NMS to Go from the total distance of this leg (868 nms) then I will have a "Distance run on Half the fuel"...I think this knowledge will be useful later in this RTW adventure.

That great river ahead is the Irrawaddy

402nms to go and the Groundspeed is 180 kts. On that engines panel, in the strip of panels, the fuel percentages in each of the four tanks is at the bottom line of that panel...The MAINS are at 95% and not feeding and the AUXs are at 37% and feeding...I must catch those at 5% and switch back to MAINS and work out distance run on half the available fuel.

Just a pretty couple...

...of pictures.

With 99nms to go, we are crossing in to the Ganges Delta...I am back on the MAIN tanks now and my "Half Fuel Distance" was 696 nms which would give me a possible range of about 1400 nms.

Well they are going to vector me onto 19 Right which has no ILS...There is a NOTAM out that 01R/19L which has the ILS approaches is closed for resurfacing...However, I'm going to tune the ILS for 19L in case it is still working and might give me some help in poor vis.

Well that is what happened but I had to cheat by saying I could see the runway in this gloom to get below 2000 feet...Here I have seen the runway lights and am crossing 19L...

...to land on...19R...That was a rather frightening approach...

...but here I am touching down, left wheel first!

Rolling down to the turn off.

Parked in front of the Tower...Thanks for looking...They all look better when clicked to a larger size.

See you on my next leg to Islamabad which is 1045 nms away...Should get some nice views of the Himalayas on my right :)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: RTW Leg8...

Post by Nigel H-J »

The flights are getting longer and longer so hope you have plenty of reading material/drinks to keep you going.

The weather seemed to let you down on your arrival but at least no diversions were called for.

Since coming back onto the internet my flying has been very short but after viewing your pictures I am off to get the old girl out of the hanger, dust her down and go fly!

Thanks for posting, super screen shots as usual.

Regards
Nigel
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

RobDob
Trident
Trident

Post by RobDob »

Peter, I'm a serial 'lurker' here and occasional poster.......and everytime I come on the forum I hope that you have updated your online logbook as it is fascinating reading.

No update since 2007! :( Is there more to come?! I sincerely hope so :thumbsup:

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

RobDob wrote:Peter, I'm a serial 'lurker' here and occasional poster.......and everytime I come on the forum I hope that you have updated your online logbook as it is fascinating reading.

No update since 2007! :( Is there more to come?! I sincerely hope so :thumbsup:
Rob, as you know, that Logbook covers my training and four years on 266 (Rhodesia) Squadron...I have covered my later time on 208 Squadron in Kenya with a downloadable zip file here:-

http://www.petermcleland.com/dl/208_Squ ... ya_PDF.zip

It will unzip as a PDF file with the colour pictures that I took in the three years that I was there. I thought I might update my Logbook file with a pointer to that download. It takes about five minutes to download but it is worth it if you have not yet seen it :agree:

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Another great addition to your series, really appreciated the additional technical commentary on this leg, looking forward to the next leg in your trip.

Just curious, what scenery packages are you using, above the default P3D scenery?
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

RobDob
Trident
Trident

Post by RobDob »

Peter

Many thanks! I envy your flying career; the golden days of British Aviation!

I'm downloading now; many thanks.

Rob

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

blanston12 wrote:Another great addition to your series, really appreciated the additional technical commentary on this leg, looking forward to the next leg in your trip.

Just curious, what scenery packages are you using, above the default P3D scenery?
GLOBAL
FTX Global BASE
FTX Global openLC Europe
FTX Global openLC North America
FTX Global Trees HD
FTX Global VECTOR
FTX Global EU Airport Pack
FTX Global Lights configurator
FTX Global North America Airport Pack
USMV Monument Valley

EUROPE
EU England

NORTH AMERICA
PAYA Yakutat Airport
AITraffic North America General Aviation

OCEANIA
AI Traffic Australia and New Zealand
NZ South Island
NZ North Island (DVD)...Not seen by FTX Central 3
NZMF Milford Sound Airport
NZQN Queenstown Airport
YBAS Alice Springs airport

AIRCRAFT
Van's RV-4, The C47 that I'm using for RTW

I have other scenery but it is uninstalled and I purchased it for P3D v2 but it is known by FTX Central 3 and I can install it as required.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Thanks for the info Peter, I seam to be collecting a very similar collection of ORBX packages.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.