New Boeing 777X Video

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

New Boeing 777X Video

Post by Nigel H-J »

What do you think of it?

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/video/other/bo ... vi-BBsw6ih

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Re: New Boeing 777X Video

Post by Scorpius »

New wings, modified engines. Still a 22 year old design though.

Nev

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

The fold up wing tips are cool, true its based on a 22 year design, but aren't they also on their fourth generation of the 737, a 50 year old design?
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

Another featureless metal tube. Give me noisy dirty old DC10's, 727's or 1-11's any day. :-O
Alex

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

What I find puzzling is, why does Boeing keep on competing with itself ? It seems to me that this will compete with the 787, particularly the -900 . Or is that that Boeing has written the 787 off as a dead loss ?

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

blanston12 wrote:The fold up wing tips are cool
These were offered on the original B777 aircraft, to allow them to operate from stands designed to accommodate DC-10 and L1011 Tristar aircraft. No airline ever took up the option. From reading the aviation press at the time, I got the feeling that airlines were worried about passengers reactions as to the safety of this. It will be interesting to see how the new design is perceived.
blanston12 wrote:aren't they also on their fourth generation of the 737, a 50 year old design?
Yes, a strategy that has worked well for Boeing. It minimises development costs, whilst allowing aircraft to remain competitive with regard to fuel economy and range. Add to this, that fuselage design has been updated to comply with the latest safety requirements.
With the B747-8, we saw a totally new wing and engines and the same principal has been applied to the new B777's. This gives quite a significant improvement on previous marks.
Vancouver wrote:Another featureless metal tube. Give me noisy dirty old DC10's, 727's or 1-11's any day.
I totally agree, that these aircraft (and their contemporaries) had much more character. Unfortunately, profit margins rule the roost and computer modelling designs the aircraft. As such, we have seen designs converging until it is getting more and more difficult to tell the aircraft apart.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...