Christmas Quiz

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Christmas Quiz

Post by Paul K »

What links this...

...to this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9LJUCPZojM

There are two similar answers: one 'recent' and the other more historically exact - with the latter I need a place name. ;)

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Christmas Quiz

Post by Tomliner »

Haven't got the answer yet Paul but I've frequently watched that You Tube clip which I love. I know the aircraft type but not sure if there is a link between the film title and the location of the aircraft manufacturer *-) EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Nick M
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Nick M »

Hiya Paul - I do like Glenn Miller-related posts at this time of year. Seems very fitting to honour the man so close to the anniversary of his death.

Is the answer a 'who' rather than a 'what', that being Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown? I understand Brown flew that very aircraft (well - obviously not the model in the photo! :) ) and was the first to land a 'trike' on an aircraft carrier. He also nominated At Last in his appearance on BBC Radio 4's Desert Island Discs.

As to the place name, my guess would be RAF Topcliffe which is where Brown actually met Miller and even joined the band in singing the song in question. Sad to remember that we lost Captain Brown earlier this year, so rather a poignant answer perhaps.

All the best,
Nick

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Nick M wrote:Hiya Paul - I do like Glenn Miller-related posts at this time of year. Seems very fitting to honour the man so close to the anniversary of his death.

Is the answer a 'who' rather than a 'what', that being Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown? I understand Brown flew that very aircraft (well - obviously not the model in the photo! :) ) and was the first to land a 'trike' on an aircraft carrier. He also nominated At Last in his appearance on BBC Radio 4's Desert Island Discs.

As to the place name, my guess would be RAF Topcliffe which is where Brown actually met Miller and even joined the band in singing the song in question. Sad to remember that we lost Captain Brown earlier this year, so rather a poignant answer perhaps.

All the best,
Nick

Well there you go - short answer, long answer and place. Be sure to join me again next year for another fiendishly difficult Christmas quiz. :| :lol:

Nick M
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Nick M »

Paul K wrote:[...] Be sure to join me again next year for another fiendishly difficult Christmas quiz. :| :lol:
Sorry Paul - you rather gave away the answer here! ;)

Thanks for the post as I'm listening to that episode of Desert Island Discs as I type. Rather chilling listening to his account of surviving the torpedoing of HMS Audacity, especially as I did my STCW 95 Sea Survival refresher course yesterday and got a reminder of how awkward it is to pull oneself into a liferaft, even in a heated pool. (More so than it was 16 years ago anyway, which is when I last did it!)

Cheers,
Nick

...Edit: as I get to the end of the programme (with Rod Stewart singing Sailing), I've just learned that Capt. Brown called his son "Glenn" too. :)

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Dammit Nick, you're not supposed to read what I say in other forums !! :lol:

EDIT: I remember doing the liferaft course too, up in South Shields. Great fun !

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Liferafts are my favorite things about ships, Paul :agree:

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

airboatr wrote:Liferafts are my favorite things about ships, Paul :agree:
Very wise, Joe. Never go on a ship without them. ;)

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

I'm glad that Nick got the right answer.
All I could offer was that if you blew down that pipe at the front, it may sound like a trumpet. :hide:

Nick M
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Nick M »

Liferafts are fun, I decided, until you find yourself sharing a 10 man one with 13 other guys! :-O

Anyway, I though I'd try adding a Christmas Quiz question of my own.

What links this...

...to this?

Cheers,
Nick