RTW Leg11...

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

RTW Leg11...

Post by petermcleland »

Here is the leg from Tehran to Istanbul...All the pictures look better if clicked up to full size :agree:

SMOG...These first four shots...

...show how very...

...polluted it is...

...around here!

Here I am settled in my usual "Fast Cruise" at 16000 feet.

This shows how lean the mixture levers are at optimum setting.

The visibility is perking up now...

...over this rugged terrain.

There are also odd bits of low cloud.

I might have to go through some of them.

There is also quite a bit of snow about.

This is the "Half Fuel Used" point and this calculation shows that even with a headwind component of -30 knots plus, I have the range to make it:-

Total Distance = 1103 nms
Distance to go = -487 nms
Distance run = 616 nms
x2 gives range today at least 1232 nms

There are patches of turbulence from time to time and well modelled in this aeroplane.

You would be hard pressed to find a place for a forced landing around here!

Another well modelled feature of this Sim...

...is flight through cloud banks.

Destination is on the GPS map now...That is the Med on the left with Cyprus and the Black Sea on the right... I last flew along this route on 2nd June 1960...It was in the reverse direction as I flew my Hunter FGA9 "Echo" from Nicosia to Tehran. The flight was 2 hours 45 mins.

More cloud here to charge through!

106 nms to go with 22% fuel remaining.

I expect radar vectoring off to the left soon, to position for...

...Runway 06 with an ILS.

Here I am established on the ILS with the runway in sight.

All set for landing...but about half a minute later the computer crashed with an OOM error.

It took some juggling of settings etc to get me parked here the following day...Main change was the Tesselation Factor...BTW I finished that leg with 14% fuel remaining, and the flight took over 7 hours

Thanks for looking... my next leg is to Templehof...That will feel like coming home! :agree:

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Re: RTW Leg11...

Post by blanston12 »

:welldone:
Nice job Peter! Sorry your last two legs gave you computer problems.

You one comment about you mixture settings made me think abit. I always fly with auto-mixture and unless someone has produced a checklist that tells me what setting to use I really have no idea how it should be set. Any guidance you could pass along to us neophytes?
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

RobDob
Trident
Trident

Post by RobDob »

Nice pictures! :thumbsup:

I notice in your profile you're in Dartmouth Peter; I flew over there just before Christmas and took a few photo's of BRNC and the area, lovely part of the world.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Peter, lovely shots again of your flight but isn't it a bu**er when you do a long flight like that with your destination right in front of you when
All set for landing...but about half a minute later the computer crashed with an OOM error.
that happens!! :wall:

Hopefully the next leg will be much kinder to you and trouble free. :thumbsup:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

Joe : in my days, our standard procedure for adjusting mixture once settled in the cruise , was to lean to the point of maximum Exhaust temperature on the EGT, and then richen back by 25 degrees Fahrenheit so that the maintained EGT was 25 degs below the maximum . This was with Continental engines which were of course flat in configuration , but I can see no reason why radials would have been different , although each manufacturer may have made different recommendations according to exhaust valve specification

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

This post deleted by author and re-done below.
Last edited by petermcleland on 21 Jan 2017, 13:18, edited 1 time in total.

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Then there is the Lean of Peak argument...However, in my lovely C-47 there is that long popup panel from Shift+4 and in the Engines square is "Mix" and a click on that sets the mixture levers moving to the optimum...Very convenient for me but I don't really know what the algorythm is looking at when it adjusts the levers...Could easily be a percentage lean of peak. I will move my position over to the copilots side the next time i do it and see if I can spot what it relates to :)

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Thanks for the info Peter, will see if I can put it to use on my next FS flight.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

I hope you were on oxygen at 16,000 feet Peter!

As for mixture settings, a lot has been written about them and different engines call for different approaches. Some engines can be flown lean of peak, on others this should be avoided. As the cost of exhaust valves is negligable in FS you can't go far wrong by setting up a 25 to 50 degree rich of peak mixture. Keep in mind that EGT takes some time to settle down so you need to wait a bit after each adjustment.

Apart from the lean mixture, I would expect the engine to be in high blower as well at that altitude, or doesn't this engine type have a two-speed supercharger?
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

petermcleland
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by petermcleland »

Archer wrote:I hope you were on oxygen at 16,000 feet Peter!

As for mixture settings, a lot has been written about them and different engines call for different approaches. Some engines can be flown lean of peak, on others this should be avoided. As the cost of exhaust valves is negligable in FS you can't go far wrong by setting up a 25 to 50 degree rich of peak mixture. Keep in mind that EGT takes some time to settle down so you need to wait a bit after each adjustment.

Apart from the lean mixture, I would expect the engine to be in high blower as well at that altitude, or doesn't this engine type have a two-speed supercharger?
No I don't think the blowers are two speed. However, the throttles are not fully open at 16000 feet to get 33 inches...They are at 97%. The recommended fast cruise power is 33 inches and 2400 RPM. Yes, of course I was on oxygen at that altitude!! But you must imagine all those oxygen bottles I have to provide for such long flights. 16000 feet on that leg was to clear high ground and was the advised altitude for that leg. I just accept the proposed cruise altitude in the flight planner and then just follow ATC instructions. In the interests of reducing the number of legs for this RTW, I like to plan legs of about 1100 nms but I have to be careful about headwinds. My longest leg is the last but one and it is over the sea with a distance of 1238 nms, so if the wind is not favourable I will have to put in an extra leg to go down Australia a bit further before crossing the Tasman Sea.

Anyway I am grounded at the moment, waiting for activation of my P3D...I had to do a "Reset" of my computer which took out all of the Apps that I had put in...I have got it all back and working except P3D and I'm waiting to get my License details before I can proceed :agree: