Returning to FS after a long break... Questions

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Quixoticish1

Returning to FS after a long break... Questions

Post by Quixoticish1 »

Hello all! I used to post here a LONG time ago as Quixoticish. I took a break from FS9/FSX for a many years after I ended up spending more time repainting than I actually did flying and it was turning into a massive money sink. Anyway, I've been bitten by the bug and I'm keen to get back into it but it seems a lot has changed. Sadly pretty much all of the payware I bought and my copies of FSX have all gone now so it's a case of starting again from the ground up.

So without further ado...

1) FSX SP2 or this new fangled Prepar3D thingy?
2) What are the MUST HAVE addons at the moment to make the ground, sky, weather and other bits and bobs utterly amazing?
3) Can someone please help me liberate back my old Quixoticish account please? The e-mail address it's attached to is dead and buried. :)

Many thanks all, looking forward to getting back into the virtual skies.

DaveB
The Ministry

Re: Returning to FS after a long break... Questions

Post by DaveB »

Hi Chris,

I knew exactly who you where when I saw the newest member. There could only BE one of you :lol:

Problem with pulling the old account back (it's still here.. I take it you forgot your login) is that you can't have two accounts under the same email address so one of them will have to go.

As for the rest.. I'll let the others dive in ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage
Old sailors never die.. they just smell that way!

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Quixoticish1 wrote:1) FSX SP2 or this new fangled Prepar3D thingy?
If you have utterly awesome powerful computer, then take both which I did for my new laptop although I have not had chance to use P3D and will probably not!! LOL AND MORE IMPORTANT IS THAT you need to ask DaveB if any CBFS add on plane can run in P3D. I would not know answer for those classic British planes.

If not, take FSX SP2

Regards,

Aharon

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

I'm not the best person to ask about that Aharon as I don't have P3D :lol:

ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Elvis Presley
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Elvis Presley »

Welcome back.
FWIW I use FSX Gold edition, it has acceleration and all that service pack stuff included as standard as I understand it. Is also very cheap to buy now (try that Rainforest place for a bargain). I would be tempted by P3D but if I was starting again, as it is a 64bit modern software, but I would proably end up deciding against something you have to pay more for than ordinary fsx despite that. Besides I like flying old planes, and I mean old in the sense, when they were released by their various developers.
Please don't mention Orbx tho, as I don't want to get thrown out by the management. Damn, I think I already did, maybe Dave won't notice...
Anyway, just my 0.2c, enjoy yourself out there whatever you decide
Jim

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

Elvis Presley wrote:... I would be tempted by P3D but if I was starting again, as it is a 64bit modern software, ...
Just to note, P3d is not 64bit yet! When v4 arrives it will probably be 64bit, but that's not been confirmed. If it is, then you can wave goodbye to backward compatibility with existing stuff.

There's also the new Dovetail FlightSimWorld which is soon to be released as "early access" (read beta!). That is also 64bit with no backward compatibility.

If I was getting into FS now, I'd probably go for FSX-Steam as it's usually very cheap, and wait and see what P3dv4 brings, hopefully soon.
Dave G.

Aharon
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Aharon »

Elvis Presley wrote:Please don't mention Orbx tho, as I don't want to get thrown out by the management.
*-) *-) *-) *-) *-) *-) Why?? The management would appreciate your honest review that would save lots of headaches and pains for other flightsimmers.

Regards,

Aharon
Last edited by Aharon on 06 May 2017, 00:42, edited 1 time in total.

DaveB
The Ministry

Post by DaveB »

:lol: :lol:

We tend to say what we think about products here Aharon. Suffice it to say.. we don't care much for ORBX :lol: That's not to say we mind other folk buying it. It's your money and you can spend it however you wish ;)
ATB
DaveB B)smk
ImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Chris, :hello:
I agree with Jim. ( and DaveG); If you're going for FSX, get a version with Acceleration, which copes with carrier launch & recovery. I don't think old FSX can handle that without add-ons. Also, several add-on aircraft are made for FSX+A.
The sim. is about the cheapest bit these days. Depending on where you want to fly, you'll need a stack of scenery enhancements; true, some are freeware. Before you lash out on weather enhancements, see whether you're personally happy with the default FSX offering first - it's streets ahead of FS9.

Quixoticish1

Post by Quixoticish1 »

Thank you all for the input. It sounds like FSX is still quite widely used over Prepar3D, that's fine by me, means I'm on familiar territory for dipping my toes back into the water.

What's FlightSimWorld, is that based on the FSX/Prepar3D codebase or is it something completely new?