Stratolaunch roll-out

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Archer
VC10
VC10

Stratolaunch roll-out

Post by Archer »

I know that there's nothing British in this (although BAE Systems did play a small role) but it is impressive to see the size of this beast:

Anyone up for modelling this for FS? :poke: :lol:
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Stratolaunch roll-out

Post by FlyTexas »

Wow! :-O I wonder how much cost savings the customer should expect using the Stratolaunch aircraft compared to launching satellites using a "normal" rocket launch? *-) As for an FS model, I'm still waiting for someone to build a quality SpaceShipOne model. B-)

Brian

paulsl
Trident
Trident

Post by paulsl »

Please can someone who knows more about these things than I do, please reassure me that this isn't a late April Fools? How on earth is the central span going to have enough strength to resist the torsion effects on something that size when it meets a decent bit of turbulence?

Just curious, Paul
It's not a 'bird', it's an aeroplane or an aircraft :rant:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

That was my first thought as well, Paul.. My guess, sizable wing spar. :agree:

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

That, plus the use of composites. I'm sure someone has done a bit of calculating before they started building, they are talking about carrying 500,000 lbs aloft under that thing. They have a bit of experience with the White Knight of course.
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

The other question that crossed my mind is, what is the flight crew arrangements.
Pilot in the left flight deck. Co pilot in the right one? *-)

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

Crew in the righthand fuselage, the other side is completely unpressurised. I guess that they only put windows in as they had some spares and didn't want to make a different mould for that side.
------------

Nick M
Meteor
Meteor

Post by Nick M »

Certainly is an interesting configuration. I wonder why they didn't join the two horizontal stabilisers together to provide a bit more structural rigidity as with the DH.100 and its de Havilland brethren, the P-38 and the (almost as funny looking) F-82 'Twin Mustang'. At least it would have looked a bit more airworthy, if nothing else!

I guess the Heinkel He 111Z is a pretty close match in terms of general arrangement, which goes to show that in aviation terms (and in life in general), it's hard to come up with something that hasn't been tried before. :)

Nick

paulsl
Trident
Trident

Post by paulsl »

airboatr wrote:
02 Jun 2017, 11:26
My guess, sizable wing spar. :agree:
"Nah mate, that's not an I beam. This is an I beam" :lol:

I'm with Nick joining the horizontal stabilisers. Anyway, I know very little about the nitty gritty of aeroplane design, so I'll not worry. I don't see myself flying that airline anytime soon anyway.

:OT: Sudden ageist thought, hands up if you remember "Made in Scotland frae girders" :Dance:
It's not a 'bird', it's an aeroplane or an aircraft :rant:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Nawmate... I've not been privileged..... I'm of this derivation

:hide: :wasntme: