An Idle threat

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

An Idle threat

Post by blanston12 »

I got this email recently, actually I got it several times, in different languages and before you read it know it's obviously bogus.
I greet you!

I have bad news for you.
11/08/2018 - on this day I hacked your operating system and got full access to your account [email protected]

It is useless to change the password, my malware intercepts it every time.

How it was:
In the software of the router to which you were connected that day, there was a vulnerability.
I first hacked this router and placed my malicious code on it.
When you entered in the Internet, my trojan was installed on the operating system of your device.

After that, I made a full dump of your disk (I have all your address book, history of viewing sites, all files, phone numbers and addresses of all your contacts).

A month ago, I wanted to lock your device and ask for a small amount of money to unlock.
But I looked at the sites that you regularly visit, and came to the big delight of your favorite resources.
I'm talking about sites for adults.

I want to say - you are a big pervert. You have unbridled fantasy!

After that, an idea came to my mind.
I made a screenshot of the intimate website where you have fun (you know what it is about, right?).
After that, I took off your joys (using the camera of your device). It turned out beautifully, do not hesitate.

I am strongly belive that you would not like to show these pictures to your relatives, friends or colleagues.
I think $826 is a very small amount for my silence.
Besides, I spent a lot of time on you!

I accept money only in Bitcoins.
My BTC wallet: 17vzp1hvUE4tKV81L7n29egdeJFMqsW4wF

You do not know how to replenish a Bitcoin wallet?
In any search engine write "how to send money to btc wallet".
It's easier than send money to a credit card!

For payment you have a little more than two days (exactly 50 hours).
Do not worry, the timer will start at the moment when you open this letter. Yes, yes .. it has already started!

After payment, my virus and dirty photos with you self-destruct automatically.
Narrative, if I do not receive the specified amount from you, then your device will be blocked, and all your contacts will receive a photos with your "joys".

I want you to be prudent.
- Do not try to find and destroy my virus! (All your data is already uploaded to a remote server)
- Do not try to contact me (this is not feasible, I sent you an email from your account)
- Various security services will not help you; formatting a disk or destroying a device will not help either, since your data is already on a remote server.

P.S. I guarantee you that I will not disturb you again after payment, as you are not my single victim.
This is a hacker code of honor.

From now on, I advise you to use good antiviruses and update them regularly (several times a day)!

Don't be mad at me, everyone has their own work.
Farewell.
Now the email I received this on is from a server where I have no personal information and only use to receive notifications, I have never sent anything on it. And by looking at the metadata in the email I can tell it came from somewhere in Argentina. If you see something like this know they are just trying to scare you and ignore it.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: An Idle threat

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Joe and thanks for the HU. Even though you knew it was malicious and the offender was in effect using blackmail to obtain money from you I do hope that this has been reported to the relevant authorities.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I'd stick to the offer of crude oil sales royalties from Engineer Roy Nkomo of Nigeria. He seems a genuine sort of chap.

robbie
VC10
VC10

Post by robbie »

Well he wouldn't catch me.....I don't have a camera in my device!!! 8)

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

There must be enough ppl out there who are gullible enough and have a guilty enough conscious that they will fall for it that it makes it worth their time.

And who to report it to? I am in one country, the server it was received on is in another and the sender is in a third.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

"P.S. I guarantee you that I will not disturb you again after payment, as you are not my single victim.
This is a hacker code of honor."

That one had me in stitches -"hacker code of honor" my ****!

Nigel²
Last edited by nigelb on 03 Nov 2018, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks for letting us know. ;)
Mrs Airspeed hit the Firefox button last week, only to have her screen tell her that Microsoft had locked her computer (because of suspicious activity) so as to protect Microsoft's system. :lol: :lol: :lol:
There were instructions on ringing a Sydney number to get the problem fixed.
Needless to say, we just closed Firefox and ran System Mechanic to hunt any malware that got past Defender. Zero found. No mention at all next time she went on line.
"They" obviously do get enough hits to make it worth their while, but such threats would get them nowhere here either.

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

I had a similar message when I returned from holiday two weeks ago. It threatened to send a list of sites that I supposedly visited to everybody on my contacts list. He gave me 48 hours to pay $850 before locking my PC.

I didn't pay of course and I haven't been locked out, but it was very worrying at the time. The email apparently came from myself!

I also found in my junk folder, no less than 70 emails from ladies who were kindly offering to show me a good time. I blocked them all, and haven't had any more since.

It's easy to joke about it now, but approaching my 80th birthday, I wouldn't mind one last "good time"

;)
Last edited by 511Flyer on 03 Nov 2018, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

simondix
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by simondix »

I had two of them one describing what I was supposedly doing. Again no camera. Sad thing is it will frighten people enough to pay them in some cases whether they have done anything or not.
Simon

'The trouble with the speed of light is it gets here too early in the morning!' Alfred. E. Neuman