Blackurn Skua BETA time

A quiet place for budding model makers to share thoughts, get answers to questions and request and share references.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Blackurn Skua BETA time

Post by Molyned »

Afternoon Folks-
I've now got the Skua build to the beta test phase. :excited:
This is an FS9 model which also works in FSX . I'm now asking for a few beta testers to install and report back please.
The zip files can be obtained here from Dropbox - https://www.dropbox.com/s/7mms87hpvr1x4 ... A.zip?dl=0
Looking forward to your comments - good & bad.
ps - don't forget to read the notes . :agree:
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: Blackurn Skua BETA time

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Dave, and thank you very much! :welldone:
Did this beta flight in FSX Acceleration.
Left the glass as downloaded, no visibility issues apart from a bit of reflection from those multiple flat side panes.
Love the engine sound.
Visually excellent.
Rudder is ineffective at low speed, but that stands to reason, needs plenty of RPM to steer when taxying.
All the flying surfaces move nicely, and the animated rear gun is delightful to watch.
Plenty of engine power.
Far more aerobatic than I expected from a dive bomber, loops and rolls too easily, but my only real life experience was in a Chipmunk flown by an RAF pilot, so what would I know?
Animated bomb cradle and dropping both worked well.
The gun button needs some kind of tweak; pressed it briefly, the gun flashes illuminated the cockpit, but were about ten feet above and below the airframe, and would not stop until switched off with the "i" button. No gun sound, no tracer visible.
Landing lights; seems stbd comes on with nav lights and both when landing light switched on with CTRL L, is this intentional?
If this was my model :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'd be very happy with its progress.
Thanks again, my hero!

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Rip Van Winkle here!

Nice one Dave. Guns no problems firing using I or just the trigger, second press stops them, but vertical position looks a bit out to me when viewed externally.
Gunsight worries me, it seems too low relative to eyepoint, must see if there is anything published about its position vertically.
Engine power too much at full throttle - getting 1182 HP on AFSD @ 2750, prop position 100%, Throttle 100% @ 1000 ft - this gives 240 KIAS in level flight - way beyond Vne.
When throttle & prop set for 905 HP ( prop 100% throttle 78%) @ 2750 rpm at 1000 ft, Airpeed = 198 KIAS.....Very very good, it shows HP vs Drag curve correct, as at 2650 rpm, prop 95% & throttle 74%, HP = 830, Airpeed is 162 KIAS. So it looks as if engine friction needs tweaking a bit, hope Prop doesn't.
Canopy handle hidden when canopy open - viewpoint issue.
Have not changed glass as used FS9, but quite a lot of reflection internally, I like it it could be real!
Stall occurs about 48 KIAS, about what I would expect
No label on Instrument panel for Gills control - also very fiddly to adjust with mouse. Similar fiddly problem with fuel cock.
Front quarter light right bottom - gap seen through between cowling & windscreen frame.
I would also like a bit less trim per click as fiddly to get level cruise, thats real nit picking!

As an Aside - am trying to be let out more to play, but SWMBO has got me house hunting - she doesn't like this one!!!!!
Hawk Major texturing ongoing....Get tired also with Parkinson's........makes mouse pointer difficult to place at times!
Keith

P.S. I measured about 60°/sec roll when flat out - I should think about right for that type of kite.
P.S.#2. Be gentle with the brakes or you will end up on your nose, could do with less braking - I have no problems with rudder authority on the ground when engine on tick over, there are also differential brakes.
K

Molyned
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Molyned »

Hi Mike -
Thanks for the very useful report. So, comments -
I think I can increase the rudder effectiveness.
I'll read through the literature about the aerobatic capability of the aircraft & experiment there.
Ah, the guns ! no, there is no sound attached. Er, you did substitute the FSX guns settings in the aircraft.cfg file did you ?. I ask because the
description of them firing above & below etc. is what I see with the FS9 setting in FSX SP2. :wasntme:
There is only one landing light - on the port wing, the other starboard one is the taxi light. Both are switchable from the switch-box on the starboard -side in the cockpit. 'Cntrl L' and 'L' .can be unreliable across various versions.
Thanks again - food for thought.
Cheers :cheers:
Dave M(oly)

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Dave,
Just had a trip in FSX SP2 with her - results very similar as first reported in FS9. Will try fiddling with HP.
I note that the fuel cock works better using the pop up.
Keith

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Dave,
I did not see a note in the README about amending Smoke section, so I did not know about it, till your post.
Deleted those //s, and the FS9 section to be sure, but left Smoke.0 as was, so the bomb still drops OK.
I now have four guns blazing, nice gunsmoke whipping back, all nicely aligned with the barrels, but the tracer is several inches too high.
Thanks for explaining the taxy light, that's something else I've learnt from this forum. :thumbsup:
It didn't dawn on me that the gunsight gives a view of the fuselage, rather than a target; SORRY! :$
Keith,
I mentioned "plenty of power" in my FSX report; I noted your comment on HP and excessive speed, and witnessed the same in Acceleration. No wonder it climbs so rapidly! Now, is it just your incredible brain power, or do you have a tool to monitor HP? Roll rate, I can imagine timing a 360° and calculating ROR from that; is this your method, or did I miss a huge flashing orange instrument giving this information?

Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Dev One »

Mike, I use AFSD obtainable from Herve Sors website, can be used in both FS9 & FSX. It allows one to read most parameters in the air file real time . I think one also needs FSUIPC , but only the free version. Roll rate - just as you said - do a timed roll - the Skua does a 360 in about 6 secs - thats with me counting one thousand, two thousand.....so not accurate, but gives one a rough idea.
Keith

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

:thumbsup: I might look that one up, Keith.