TMA CL-44 paint request

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Re: TMA CL-44 paint request

Post by Airspeed »

Chris Hewitt wrote:
07 May 2020, 19:28
Hi Mike, that is fantastic, you've done a brilliant job there. Seriously, I can't see anything wrong with it.
I had a quick flight while I could and it flies superbly. It took me a little while to edit the aircraft.cfg but I got there.
I can't thank you enough!!
Hi Chris,
I've now fixed the things that I wasn't happy with.
If you go to my downloads page again, you'll find V2 of the paint.
Use this to overwrite your Texture folder and you'll see the fuselage improvements. :)
Not sure why you made .cfg changes, but I guess that was to fix something other than textures.

Chris Hewitt
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Chris Hewitt »

Hi Mike, yes, that tail section really completes it. Very well done, absolutely thrilled with it.
I had to edit the aircraft cfg because the model already had another repaint in there. In hindsight, I could have removed it and just had yours which I will do.
Thanks so much Mike! :cheers:

Nosnilmot
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Nosnilmot »

Chris - just took a peek at my Junior Jet Club log book - just possible that the signature of the captain on a Kuwait Airways Comet 4C flight from Kuwait to Heathrow via Beirut and Geneva in July 1965 was your dad - quite hard to decipher though.

I think that I posted some photos of the demise of Trident 9K-ACG on this site many years ago - though searching I can't find the post now. Flew several times on KAC Tridents with my parents in the late 60s to exciting places like Tehran, Beirut and Nicosia.

Did you ever live in Kuwait ?

Chris Hewitt
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Chris Hewitt »

It could well be my dad's signature as he was flying the KAC Comet at that time.

Do you know the exact date as I have all my dad's logbooks so it would be easy to find out?

Ian Whittle was a captain with Kuwait Airways during the 1960s so he and my dad well have flown you on the Trident.

Regarding 9K-ACG, I had only ever seen a single grainy colour photo of the Trident lieing on the sand. I sent Ian a copy of it by email for a lecture he was delivering recently. I didn't know the real story behind it and he was good enough to tell me over a beer one afternoon about eighteen months ago. He had never seen a photo. It would be fantastic if you have anything you could share.

I never did live in Kuwait. We lived in Beirut but by 1970, the airline decided to relocate all the Beirut based crews, which was most of them to Kuwait. My parents were only there for three months before they left so I missed out being away at prison, I mean school.
I did get to know Kuwait city several times as we had to stop there for connecting flights once the Boeing 707 arrived. I remember the sea being as warm as a bath!!!

Chris

Nosnilmot
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Nosnilmot »

Chris,

Checked logbook - it must have been an overnight flight departing Kuwait for Beirut 21/7/65, then carrying on from Beirut to Heathrow (sorry London Airport !) via Geneva on the 22nd. My abiding memory of the flight (I was only 5) was getting my first ever Toblerone during the Geneva stop !

Checkout www.248am.com and search under "KOC Archive" - quite a few photos of what was then the new airport at Farwania (now Kuwait International) and some KAC crew photos, notably in front of a Comet. Also the KOC / KAC Twin Pioneers.

If you send me a private message with your email address, I can try to forward the 9K-ACG photos and perhaps we can exchange memories that would bore the general membership of this illustrious forum to tears !

Colin

Chris Hewitt
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Chris Hewitt »

Hi Colin, I've sent you a PM.