TMA CL-44 paint request

The place to request or publish repaints for Classic British Aircraft. Please note... no FICTIONAL livery requests!

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry, The Painters

Chris Hewitt
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

TMA CL-44 paint request

Post by Chris Hewitt »

A big hello to everyone, I'm Chris and have just joined, such a great website.
I am still with FS9 as that's where all the aircraft I need live, all from the 1950s and 60s.

Having grown up in Beirut, my dad was a Viscount, then Comet 4C and later, the Trident 1E pilot with Kuwait Airways. All Kuwait crews were based in Beirut throughout the 1960s and often on a day off, he'd take me down to the LIA (Lebanese International Airways) and TMA (Trans Mediterranean Airways) hangars where he'd let me loose on a particular aircraft while he went to see other pilots. TMA had the DC-4, the DC-6, the 707 and the Canadair CL-44.

I'd forgotten about the latter until I saw a photo recently. I've looked everywhere but there's no TMA livery out there for the 44.

I don't know if anyone would be interested to paint that livery but I'd be eternally grateful if someone was keen. Here's a link to a good photo over at Airliners.net

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Trans-M ... 1/215529/L

I couldn't figure out how to actually paste the photo here.

Thanks for reading!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: TMA CL-44 paint request

Post by Nigel H-J »

Don't know how I managed to miss your post Chris but a very warm welcome to our humble abode.

We also have a number of ex-pilots here who have also flown classic airliners such as the 1-11 and Trident as well as the VC10 military version.

Sounds like your father would have many fascinating tales to tell when he flew with Beirut Airlines and if so you will find a very appreciative audience here! ;)
I don't know if anyone would be interested to paint that livery but I'd be eternally grateful if someone was keen. Here's a link to a good photo over at Airliners.net
Unfortunately I am no re-painter though hopefully some-one will only be too pleased to help.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Chris Hewitt
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Chris Hewitt »

Thank you Nigel, I've just been spending the last couple of hours exploring the CBFS website.

I was thinking a moment ago how, as small children, my brother Mike and myself would feel short changed if we had to fly on a prop aircraft like the Viscount, the Vanguard or even the occasional F-27 instead of the bigger and faster jets. Given the opportunity today, I would fly the props everytime and leave the big Boeings and Airbus in my past. I had never realised the beauty of those older aircraft until I had a ride on a beat up old DC-7 in Tasmania many years ago.

My mother was a flight attendant with Skyways of London back in the mid 1950s flying the Hermes and Constellations, possibly the York. It's where she met my dad who had started with Skyways as a young Aussie radio op before that position was made redundant.

My dad certainly did have a few wild tales and I'll come back here with some of them.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Chris Hewitt wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 23:10
A big hello to everyone, I'm Chris and have just joined, such a great website.
I am still with FS9 as that's where all the aircraft I need live, all from the 1950s and 60s............

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Trans-M ... 1/215529/L

I couldn't figure out how to actually paste the photo here.

Thanks for reading!
Hi Chris :hello:
And welcome from me too.
Firstly, your choice of providing a link to the photo was a good one, as there are a lot of copyright issues to consider.

To actually post a photo, you need to have it hosted, either on your own site, or elsewhere (There has been some positive comment re "IMGUR" recently.) Next, COPY IMAGE LOCATION, then in your post, click on the PICTURE icon, which inserts "Image" at your cursor position. Put your mouse pointer in the gap between the two pairs of square brackets, right click and PASTE that location. Check by PREVIEWing your post - the real thing will appear above your actual typing, so you may need to scroll up to see it. If the picture is showing where you want it, just go back to typing, finish off and SUBMIT. :)
Next, Permission to do a repaint is required, so are you using "our" Garry Russell's model, or another?

Finally, (I've zoomed in on the tail numbers of a few of those TMA CL-44s, and see that instead of the Lebanese "OD", they all start with the USA's "N"
maybe there's been a change over the years?)
I'm no good on fancy shading, bumpmaps etc, but after you say which model you have, I'll take a look at the available textures and see if they can be EASILY modified for you, :worried:

Chris Hewitt
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Chris Hewitt »

Thanks for the welcome, Mike and taking the time to explain the photo process.
Anything you create regarding the CL44 would be outstanding and very much appreciated, there is absolutely nothing out there on the www so maybe others might also find their way here as I did.

I think the N reg on the aircraft instead of OD was down to a leasing technicality. TMA were the secondary airline in Lebanon after MEA during the 1960s but did handle cargo. You didn't see TMA aircraft out front with other airlines, they had their hangars hidden away to the side of the airport.

It was a December evening in 1968 when my parents woke my brother and me, told us to put something warm on and took us outside. We had a clear view of the airport several miles below us from our hilltop house. My memory of the next half hour is still as clear as day, watching invisible Israeli forces blow up every Lebanese aircraft they could find, the Convair 990, Caravelle, DC-4, 6 and 7, Comet 4C, VC10, Viscount and Boeing 707s. All completely destroyed.

We stood next to the smouldering remains two days later. The attack ended LIA as an airline but TMA and MEA did survive. That could be why the TMA CL44 has an N reg. I know TMA had that aircraft from 1969 onwards, after the attack, which may explain them having to quickly replace lost aircraft.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

OK Chris,
Woo, That was some story!
I edited my post while you were still online, so please re-read it, as there is a bit of extra information needed.

Chris Hewitt
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Chris Hewitt »

Hi Mike, I actually have the CL-44 by Mike Stone which is freeware. You can find it here https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/fslib.ph ... d=77286979
The full aircraft file is named scl44.zip
I had read that Garry's aircraft was not available for repaints, I believe.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Chris, think I have found the video regarding the attack you witnessed during the late sixties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfbUT6y7mJw

Terrible thing to happen but will not comment any further as I will get banned for being too politically involved in what is, after-all, a community hub for every-one interested in flying classic aircraft. :lol:

Look forward to any more stories of interest that you have.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Hi Chris,
I have a problem with the tail hinge bulges on the starboard fuselage; they've been placed slightly too far back as far as I can see. This results in a couple of lumps on the rear door.
I'll see if I can shunt bits around to fit. Meanwhile, If you go to my site below, then navigate to Simulator Stuff -->Simulator Downloads, you'll find a zipped texture folder. Click on the white download arrow, unzip (of course) and copy--paste into your CL-44 file in FS2004.
Anything that you don't like, let me know, and I'll see what I can do.
It should look like this: (no Israeli damage)

Chris Hewitt
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by Chris Hewitt »

Hi Mike, that is fantastic, you've done a brilliant job there. Seriously, I can't see anything wrong with it.
I had a quick flight while I could and it flies superbly. It took me a little while to edit the aircraft.cfg but I got there.
I can't thank you enough!!