The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

CPU rating??

Post by Airspeed »

My CPU is an i7 3.33GHz, but when I look at its details in "Core Temp 1.16", I'm told that it's running at 1618.22MHz.
To my limited knowledge, that means it's running at half speed.
Q1 Is it 1/2 speed?
Q2 Can I get it to run at 3333Mhz without blowing the computer up?
Q3 If I'm talking nonsense, please give me your thoughts in simplest language.
Thanks in anticipation.

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: CPU rating??

Post by DaveG »

CPUs throttle back to save power if they are just idling. If you run a demanding program then the speed should ramp up to the max.
You can force it to run flat out all the time, there's usually a setting in the BIOS, or a utility with your motherboard drivers.
Dave G.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Thanks for that Dave.
My inexperience just cost me. :$
I had a 970 3.2GHz on board, which reported 1618MHz. Thought it was broken.
Found the 975 3.3GHz on line, and those numbers made it sound faster.
It reported same as the 970.
Left Userbenchmark running when I launched FSX, and it jumped to 3505MHz :-O
Didn't help FSX, which kicked off at 8fps, staggered up to 15, but the on/off alternating sound and lack of control made me shut down again.
Userbenchmark also said my SSDs were below expectations, "Connect SATA3 cable to SATA3 port" I thought that was exactly what I had done; maybe the cables are faulty?
UBM also said my NVIDIA GTX 560 was only capable of running very basic video games.
I never had problems, and as FSX hasn't changed, and apart from my blunder with the CPU, neither have the components in my computer, could it be that those solid state components have deteriorated?
Can't afford a new computer, and don't want to throw away more cash on unnecessary replacement parts.
Any suggestions please?

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Mike, I can't help but think this isn't hardware but your underlying OS config or clashing software. Are you up to date with Windows 10 updates?
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Mike, it could be that the Windows Registry has not up dated and is therefore not seeing the new processor. If so, it could require a re-installation of Windows to fix it. Alternatively you could check in the BIOS as to which processor it is seeing - don't do this unless you know what you're doing in the BIOS.
Try re-installing the previous processor and see if it returns to previous performance.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

Many thanks both. ;)
TSR2 wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 12:26
Hi Mike, I can't help but think this isn't hardware but your underlying OS config or clashing software. Are you up to date with Windows 10 updates?
Windows 10? What's that? :$
Maybe I SHOULD spend money on upgrading. I know you and others have recommended that I'm risking lots by sitting on W7.
Kevin Farnell wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 12:30
Mike, it could be that the Windows Registry has not up dated and is therefore not seeing the new processor. If so, it could require a re-installation of Windows to fix it. Alternatively you could check in the BIOS as to which processor it is seeing - don't do this unless you know what you're doing in the BIOS.
Try re-installing the previous processor and see if it returns to previous performance.

Kevin
The system does know about the new CPU. As above, I assumed that the higher numbers for it meant that it would be faster, but the 975 is actually ranked hundreds lower than the 970. :doh: :doh:
I'll pop the 970 back in, watch the benchmark numbers on launch of FSX. I'll also unplug the NVIDIA and re-insert it; maybe there's a connection fault.
Goggles on, power off....."I'm going in".