64 bit?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

64 bit?

Post by Buggyman »

Is P3D V5 64 or 32 bit? OK I know it sounds a stupid question but my 19 has great difficulty handling P3D with the ICU running at 98% but the RAM appearing to only run at 4GB out of the 32GB available and the power usage showing in the red zone. Frequently after quite a short flight - say LHR to Brandenburgh - the flight stops sometimes for several minutes while the system catches up with itself and, again, the ICU is taking the brunt of the work whilst the RAM and GPU seem to be poodling at a leisurely pace. Sometimes this 'pause' ends up with the 'Not Responding' message followed by having to shut down.

Running a long flight at 16x and then slowing down in stages to normal speed can put the PC into pause mode for long enough for me to make and drink a cup of tea and then there is no guarantee that it will not go into 'Not Responding' and me losing the flight.

Last night I opened up the task manager and saw that the P3D was showing (2) and then 32 bit. So I am a confused bunny; have I got 2 P3D v5s loading and running in tandem?

FWIW I can run FS2020/X-Plane etc smooth as silk.

So any pearls of wisdom would be gratefully received.

ATB

Allan

AllanL
Concorde
Concorde

Re: 64 bit?

Post by AllanL »

I'm pretty sure that P3D has been 64 bit since V4 so I doubt they would go back to 32 bit. Being a fossil with Win7 I cannot be certain.

Some flash git with Win10 should pass by eventually. :lol: :worried:

I'll get there after I retire.....

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

It is the clock speed of the CPU that is important in P3D V5.

Here is chapter and verse from Lockheed: http://www.prepar3d.com/system-requirements/

Yes it is 64bit.

Nev

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Thanks Nev

My problem is my PC was supposedly built for P3D and FS2020. It is fine with 2020 but even on the default settings still has difficulty with P3D. For example I did a simple flight from Dusseldorf to Glasgow today. Scenery fine for the first leg then - at around FL25 everything below became a fuzzy green/grown and remained that way until reaching Glasgow. The airport was just a black line in green fuzz.

So, according to LM none of the above should happen - not with an i9, 32 GB RAM and 8GB VRAM GPU running on an all SSD rig.

Part of me says just bin P3D BUT I enjoy P3D probably more than FS2020 or X-Plane so I'm determined to sort this b*gger out one way or another.

I'm informed that the best thing about bashing one's head against a brick wall is actually stopping - story of my life :wall: :wall:

Allan

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Scorpius »

How have you set the sliders for the displays? P3DV5 settings cannot be a high as P3DV4 was.

Can I suggest you experiment by winding them back, one by one and see the results?

Don't forget ther is a bug in the last two driver updates from Nvidia.

Nev

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Thanks Nev

At present I have set the whole shebang to Default which gives the sliders about 50% of their full position. Not a bit of difference regarding low fps and scenery going into green/brown sludge for the UK and Europe. However I did a trip last night Christchurch NZ to Tuuta and used 16x speed over the boring bit - sea - and expected to come back to normal with the said crap scenery. No Sir, not a bit of it, I broke cloud and everything was as clear as can be expected.

So I am wondering if this is more a scenery thing? I have Orbyx Europe, England, Wales, Scotland and then TE Southern and northern England so maybe there is a conflict of some sort? I have tried the Orbyx site but found it to be of no use whatsoever. I guess my next step is to remove the scenery bit by bit to see if that has any effect.

Can't get too stressed tonight, got a cardiac assessment in the morning. So I'll try over the next couple of days and see what happens.

Thanks again

Allan

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Don't think I'd run True Earth UK regions with EU UK regions I'm sure there would be conflicts
Uninstall one set of regions and try that. P3d should fly on those specs
Dale
Image Image Image

Buggyman
VC10
VC10

Post by Buggyman »

Hi Dale

Well despite what I wrote earlier I thought I'd try deleting TE from the UK to see if it made any difference. Just finished a short 150 mile trip into Glasgow and, despite being below 1000 feet, the scenery stayed in focus and the fps remained at 25-30. Subject to a more comprehensive test over the weekend, it is looking good.

Fingers crossed.

Allan

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Good to hear
Hope your tests go well tomorrow :thumbsup:
Dale
Image Image Image

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Buggyman wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 20:29

Can't get too stressed tonight, got a cardiac assessment in the morning. So I'll try over the next couple of days and see what happens.
Allan
From me too, good luck with that assessment :thumbsup: