CBFS SPOTTER

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: The Ministry, Guru's

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Re: CBFS SPOTTER

Post by Vc Ten »

First in. that's a surprise. OK In that case I'll choose 1 of the one left in this set.
Dale
Image Image Image
Kevin Farnell
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Airspeed wrote: 15 Nov 2021, 08:57 15-11
Keith's pick; could be a BABY Lancaster :dunno:
Wouldn't that be a Manchester?

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...
Dev One
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair
Location: Cheltenham - a stones throw from birthplace of Frederick Handley-Page

Post by Dev One »

[quote/]
Likewise, I've seen this before, but can't remember it's name. I'm out of this one

Ttfn

Pete
[/quote]
Shame on you .....there is a very big clue overlaid in the picture that should lead you to wiki info!
Keith
Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Airspeed »

I have just received indisputable evidence from PaulK proving that my understanding of the subject was wrong, and therefore so are the right/wrong replies that I've sent back to you all.
I'm calling a halt to this one immediately, with apologies all round.
I relied on the date of the advert to lock in the variant illustrated, believing it to be a Snargasher RS1 I was caught out because the illustration must have been an artist's impression of the Desford RS3, and not a photograph, because the RS3 wasn't even built until two years after the date of publication.
The results therefore are:
Diamond badges to PaulK and Joe (blanston12).
Dale (Vc Ten), PeteP, Keith (Dev One) and Mick (woody901) all get a sew on badge for being told they were right, when they weren't:
Keith gets a bonus star for discovering that "Snargasher" was a Canadian slang word for trainer aircraft:
And I get shot down for getting it wrong:
Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Mike, just out of curiosity, what was the date and where does the advert appear ? In an aviation magazine such as Aeroplane Monthly or something ? :)
blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Very interesting. I started my search on the basis of "that looks like the same engine as the Tiger Moth", so I opened the Wikipedia page for the Gipsy Major engine and then all the aircraft listed who used it, which included the Desford, since it was the closest match it had to be. Since the Snargasher uses a Gipsy Six it did not show up in that initial list so I did not compare the two closely. When initially told I was wrong I then found the RS1 as its the only other AC it could be.

Now looking at it closer I see the canopy is a bit different and the RS1 had exhaust ports on the bottom of the engine. Is there another difference that was the clincher?

Guess you can't trust advertising.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.
PeteP
Concorde
Concorde

Post by PeteP »

blanston12 wrote: 17 Nov 2021, 16:03Now looking at it closer I see the canopy is a bit different and the RS1 had exhaust ports on the bottom of the engine. Is there another difference that was the clincher?
I'd guess it was the wing position with the RS3 having the wing set low on the fuselage and the RS1's being somewhat higher. The one in Mike's clue clearly has the low-set wing.

I'd like to claim that I was suckered into the RS1 because of Mike's Lewis Caroll clue but it's just an excuse - I should have checked for details like that that. :doh:
Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Like Joe I was searching for a twin engine Gypsy Major aircraft. Trawling through a long list of applications eventually brought up the Reid and Sigrist Rs3. Doing a Google search brought up the exact image of the one Mike posted https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/imag ... g&usqp=CAU
The Rs 1, I discounted anyway as the engines looked wrong (Gypsy queen's) and the canopy looked different, so I thought I had a winner :dunno: Perhaps I should have said Rs3 instead of just trainer *-). I think there was only one Rs3 built The war was just about over by that time, so the aircraft was converted to accommodate a prone pilot and re designated RS 4. That's if you believe anything on the Internet :(
Dale
Image Image Image
Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Vc Ten wrote: 17 Nov 2021, 18:39...so the aircraft was converted to accommodate a prone pilot and re designated RS 4. That's if you believe anything on the Internet.
The internet is right, Dale. The R.S.4, known as the Bobsleigh, was still flying in the 1970s. From what I can find out, it still exists but stored away somewhere. RAF Museum maybe ?

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Must have been like flying a racing motorcycle combination 😂
Dale
Image Image Image