Douglas DC 6 in Msfs

VA aircraft and route information area.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Douglas DC 6 in Msfs

Post by Vc Ten »

Before I press the button, and buy this from Pmdg (very good value IMHO so will probably buy it anyway) :lol: What's the chances of us aquiring a couple for the VA??
Its period, and was used by British airlines. We have codeshare routes with Pan American Classics.
Anyone got any thoughts on this?
Dale
Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Douglas DC 6 in Msfs

Post by TSR2 »

In a word, yes.

Air Atlantic had one if I recall, and was British Eagle, much more appropriate than A320 Neos imho 😁
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

I would be happy to get us some DC-6's. I do admit I am tempted by the PMDG DC-6, I have never purchased an aircraft from them, the prices were too high for my taste and I have not really been interested in 'study level' aircraft, but I am thinking about it.

Quick research on my part today shows that British Eagle operated 6 of them and I looked at a couple of there timetables from 59 and 60 where it does show routes for them, that could be our starting point.

We have code-shared a bunch of routes from Pan American Classic and they have a large network of DC-6 routes we could add to our flight plans.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Looking at a 1960 British Eagle time table (from timetableimages.com), they had DC-6 routes from Heathrow to Dinard, Innsbruck, La Baule, Piza and Rimini. plus one more route, once a week between Birmingham and Palma. Its illogical to me that they would have left an aircraft parked at Birmingham for a once a week flight, they must have shuttled one from London to do that flight, so if we adopt those routes we might as well shift the flight to originate in London.
Joe Cusick,

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Hi Joe
I've spent most of this afternoon watching the YouTube tutorials and translating then into practice.
It's a nice bit of work Well worth the outlay It actually feels alive :lol:
Just flown my first flight. Not yet got to grips with the autopilot (gyropilot)
Be great for a few aircraft. Not sure about the routes. Would we get just a share of the profits if we just use the codeshare routes ?
Dale
Image Image Image

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

Don't think there are any profits to share, just a nice network of routes. I will try to get us a pair DC-6B's and try to setup those British Eagle routes in our flight plan (unless someone else wants to research the routes). I could also try to grab a DC-6A (the cargo version) which might be useful as a charter for going and getting packages.
Joe Cusick,

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

That sounds great Joe. :thumbsup:
Dale
Image Image Image

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Sounds good Joe. It’s a lovely model, a lot of work to do, but very rewarding. I’m sure air atlantique used them on the freight runs prior to the electras, but I haven’t managed to find a timetable. Hopefully there will be a British Eagle paint soon too.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

IIRC Airwork / British United Airways had a fleet of them in the 1950s/60s which were used on African Routes and trooping contracts to Aden and the like

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I’m sure Air Atlantique used them on the freight runs prior to the electras, but I haven’t managed to find a timetable.
Ben, found this if it is any good, a bit of history of the DC6 with Air Atlantique. Not much of a timetable but more of where they flew though you will need to read through it to get some sort of idea. The DC6 was in demand on various contracts.

https://www.key.aero/article/air-atlant ... uglas-dc-6

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.