Question regarding the PA28 - Archer 111

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Scorpius
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Question regarding the PA28 - Archer 111

Post by Scorpius »

To be honest I never really mastered tail draggers despite Dave shouting 'dancing feet' on takeoff and landing.

If you get the chance come along to Compton Abbas, you will love the scenery, food and aeroplanes!

Nev

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I would love to come down but it is around 240 miles from me. Will have to continue with the Orbx version of Compton Abbas I'm afraid. :lol:

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

adysmith
VC10
VC10

Post by adysmith »

Have to admit I was a bit surprised to find that I had fouled the spark plugs due to waiting at idle for about 5 minutes whilst another aircraft was taxiing all over the runway before taking-off, can that actually happen with the actual aircraft?
Oh yes! when you stop, park brakes on and RPM to 1200 to prevent plugs fouling. Try to keep the revs at about 1000 while taxiing as well for the same reason.

In RW aircraft (certainly Cessna 150) it is also quite easy to get some fairly significant carburettor icing while taxiing in the right (wrong?) weather conditions.
ImageImage
Old pilots never die, they just run out of runway.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Oh yes! when you stop, park brakes on and RPM to 1200 to prevent plugs fouling. Try to keep the revs at about 1000 while taxiing as well for the same reason.

In RW aircraft (certainly Cessna 150) it is also quite easy to get some fairly significant carburettor icing while taxiing in the right (wrong?) weather conditions.
Very many thanks Adrian, I will now pay more attention to the mechanics of the engine rather than just taking it for granted!! :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

dfarrow
Vulcan
Vulcan

Post by dfarrow »

Lots of info here gents , all good .
CS and TS , I have seen an a/c with that RPM restriction ...cannot remember what engine it was . The more modern Lycoming O-320s in 172s and Pa 28s , don't have that problem .

Thanks Nev , was at it again on Fri. '' Dancing shoes '' in Gone Sick . Never really said cheerio when you left her . Sorry . But glad to hear you'll be coming back in Aug. , looking forward to it .

Nigel , as Ady says 1200 when you are parked .[ As I explain to studes , engine idles as a car at 700 , but plugs foul and there's no cooling air , so 1200 ] You may wish to lean the mix a bit when taxying , helps avoid plug fouling . If ORbx at CA , think you can see Emma's [ my boss ] beautiful face in the watch office !
08 is ok in a NE wind . X-wind disappears by blowing over you on short finals . E is ok . SE round to S can be a bit of a nightmare , we may draw stumps in 8 kts ! Wind is curling over the wood giving strong downdrafts , turbulance , and even a tailwind blowing around the wood .

Ady , you are spot on with 150s or any Continental O-200 a/c. Been behind them since 1971 , and was only 2 years ago on last FI reval. that I found out why carb icing is bad on them .
On a Lycoming engine inlet tube from carburettor passes throught the oil tank .. warm oil warms fuel/air mix.. no/little carb icing..
Continental O-200 and probably O-300 [ O-200 with 2 more cylinders ],,, the inlet tube from the carb. is in front of oil tank , thus only getting ambient air from front of a/c. ... No warming from the oil tank ! Simples ...only took 48 years to find out ; every day a school day .

rgds dave f.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Nigel , as Ady says 1200 when you are parked .[ As I explain to studes , engine idles as a car at 700 , but plugs foul and there's no cooling air , so 1200 ] You may wish to lean the mix a bit when taxying , helps avoid plug fouling . If ORbx at CA , think you can see Emma's [ my boss ] beautiful face in the watch office !
08 is ok in a NE wind . X-wind disappears by blowing over you on short finals . E is ok . SE round to S can be a bit of a nightmare , we may draw stumps in 8 kts ! Wind is curling over the wood giving strong downdrafts , turbulance , and even a tailwind blowing around the wood .
Dave, very many thanks for the advice and also regarding wind when landing on 08, pity the wind factor is not modelled in Orbx, would be quite interesting otherwise!!

Regards
Nigel.