What happened to Classic British Files, DM Flight Sim, Simshed and Rick's Paintshop?

Classic British Flight Sim forum.
Support for Maltby/Piper FS models & other Classic British freeware.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

connorlrichey
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

What happened to Classic British Files, DM Flight Sim, Simshed and Rick's Paintshop?

Post by connorlrichey »

Hi, I have a question. Can anyone tell me what happened to Classic British Files (http://www.classicbritishfiles.com/), DM Flight Sim (http://www.dmflightsim.co.uk/), Simshed (http://www.simshed.co.uk/), www.britsim.com and Rick's Paintshop (http://www.btinternet.com/~rick.piper/index.htm), why and when, whether they will ever return and whether all of their products are currently available elsewhere? Thank you very much for your help.
Sincerely,
Connor Richey

DaveG
The Gurus

Re: What happened to Classic British Files, DM Flight Sim, Simshed and Rick's Paintshop?

Post by DaveG »

None of those sites are directly related to here, although there is a lot of cross over and most of the people's involved with those sites are members here as well.
Britsim and Classic British Files are/were the same place. I can't remember off the top of my head whether the site was victim of a hacking attack or if it was a server issue, but either way the site and files were lost.
I think most of not all of Rick's files are available in the library here.
Don't know what's happening with DMs site.
Dave G.

Brian Franklin
Concorde
Concorde

Re: What happened to Classic British Files, DM Flight Sim, Simshed and Rick's Paintshop?

Post by Brian Franklin »

I'm afraid Simshed is gone never to be resurrected. I decided a long time ago that I was just not enjoying the hobby any longer so closed the site and relinquished the domain name. Recently MSFS 2020 has revived my interest in Flight sim's again but I won't be getting into the development side of things again

Brian

migman29
Trident
Trident

Post by migman29 »

Classic British Files/Britisim was the victim of a bad hacking.

Rob closed it all down and has never re-activated it.
I was one of the mods on there,a shame really,there were really good cross overs between there and here.
You could see him thinking "Bleedin'pilots,don't know nuffin.All glammer" He's probably right.

A/C.2 Webber,Manston,1941,First Light by Geoff Wellum.

thehappyotter
Concorde
Concorde

Post by thehappyotter »

migman29 wrote:
25 Jun 2021, 19:08
Classic British Files/Britisim was the victim of a bad hacking.

Rob closed it all down and has never re-activated it.
I was one of the mods on there,a shame really,there were really good cross overs between there and here.
Like Mark says, it was destroyed by hackers and got to the point that it was too much work to repair with my day job to contend with too. They weren't sophisticated hackers targeting the site specifically but I believe there must have been a vulnerability in one of the plugins or themes that the site used which were found by automated bots who wanted to take over sites using that CMS to post spam. I've thankfully learned a lot since then.

I do still own the domain name (well, britsim.net. The .com elapsed and is being squatted) so I'll never say never...

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

Would you ever make lines like this, Rob?

:lol:

:wasntme:

connorlrichey
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by connorlrichey »

Do you think some of Rick's files are available were only available on Classic British Files or BritSim?

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I'd be surprised if any of Rick's were only on Britsim and not here. *-)
Is there anything in particular you're looking for?
Dave G.

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

airboatr wrote:
30 Jun 2021, 00:56
Would you ever make lines like this, Rob?
I remember on a visit to Scotland my brother showed me a roundabout with some weird lane marking which had appeared near Dunblane. The locals quickly christened it 'the SAS Roundabout' - as in 'Who Dares, Wins' :lol:
MikeW

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

:lol: I've entered a few roundabouts that are absolutely loopy.. :worried: