FS2004 turns 18 today!

Classic Non-Brit Forum.
A dedicated area to post on your favourite 'Classic' non-British freeware flightsim aircraft.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

fs10inator
Meteor
Meteor

FS2004 turns 18 today!

Post by fs10inator »

Made to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Wright Brothers' first successful powered flight, Flight Simulator 2004 was another major step forward in the evolution of Flight Simulator.

With a greater variety of airplanes, more airports, and other features and improvements, the sim is still staying strong with a dedicated community that appreciates its smoothness on even the lower-end of computer hardware, as well as a colossal, yet still growing, add-on library.

Here's to more from one of the most versatile pieces of software to have ever been written.

Filonian
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: FS2004 turns 18 today!

Post by Filonian »

Sill have a look now and again. Ah! Memory lane

Graham
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

I really think MS peaked with FS9. Still have it installed and with a multitude in the way of pay and freeware improvements it holds up extremely well. :thumbsup:
Alex

mgchristy
Trident
Trident

Post by mgchristy »

I really think MS peaked with FS9.
In terms of the community aspect, I'd definitely agree. I've toyed with FS since the FS98, but Century of Flight is what really lit the fire for me. I recall coming online here with CBFS back in the FS2004 era. So many names now sadly gone: Dave Booker, Leif Harding, Garry Russell... I know every generation bemoans the 'passing of the torch', but it does feel that the FS9 era was a bit of a high point.
Mark

migman29
Trident
Trident

Post by migman29 »

mgchristy wrote:
15 Aug 2021, 04:31
I really think MS peaked with FS9.
In terms of the community aspect, I'd definitely agree. I've toyed with FS since the FS98, but Century of Flight is what really lit the fire for me. I recall coming online here with CBFS back in the FS2004 era. So many names now sadly gone: Dave Booker, Leif Harding, Garry Russell... I know every generation bemoans the 'passing of the torch', but it does feel that the FS9 era was a bit of a high point.
Couldn't agree moreso,I still use Fs9 most days.
Leif and Garry were two of my big mates and great influences to most of us.
You could see him thinking "Bleedin'pilots,don't know nuffin.All glammer" He's probably right.

A/C.2 Webber,Manston,1941,First Light by Geoff Wellum.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

FS9 was definitely the high point. So many people contributing and so many aircraft that I doubt we’ll ever see again. We were so lucky to have all of these people active at that time. While the fidelity is now much much better, the ability for someone to build a model with a few hours a night over several months is gone. And the interest in that period of British aviation is waining.

I remember Sav and DM working on the boost engine for the Trident 3. The months that Rick, Dave, Garry and Fraser spent… Fraser’s Vanguard panel is an absolute masterpiece, even today. Garry… what he didn’t paint didn’t exist. DaveG’s original Rapide.. and I remember the Hinters coming out the first time. We were spoilt. Good times, and great memories of great people. :cheers:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Tomliner
Battle of Britain
Battle of Britain

Post by Tomliner »

I still use FS9, I intended to move on but might have left it a bit late. New pc would be needed.
I still use several classic british aircraft along with the MAAM sim DC3 CaptainSim B757 and the still brilliant LevelD B767 the onlly drawback of which is the loss of SIDS and STARS possibly due the XML version not working in Windows 10. However using the FIX function in the FMC to enter relevant waypoints and constraints works fine if a little bit tiime consuming. :agree: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

johnhinson
Victor
Victor

Post by johnhinson »

Ha ha - if I have to leave FS9, I shall leave the hobby.

I tried to be a good boy and upgraded myself to FSX during "lockdown" and was putting up with all the things I couldn't quite get to work as I wanted, but suddenly a Windows update came along that for whatever reason messed up my particular sound system in FSX. I spent several weeks trying to fix it, but never did. I really can't move on as I get really disorientated (usually right at a critical moment of landing!) with "virtual cesspits". So back to FS9 went I, and was glad to be home once again.

I can see from film clips that the latest incarnation is bootiful, but not for me . . .

John

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

I finally have a computer that can handle it with all settings on max... most of the time.

OZflyer
Chipmunk
Chipmunk

Post by OZflyer »

No better sim available. It does what you want, without fuss, and performs faultlessly day after day. FS2004, what a sim. Great to see some FS9’ers still here.

You cant beat FS9 for its smoothness, ease of use, quiet temperament, its myriads of add-ons, scenery, aircraft of all eras, and 'mods'.

No reliance on internet/MS servers.
No million plus hot fixes needed.
No writing up your own XML codes to install scenery.

FS9 is still the best desktop flight simulator there is.

Glory, Glory, FS9'ers
Glory, Glory, FS9'ers
Glory, Glory, FS9'ers
As FS9 goes marching on on on!!!!!!