My daughter, the plane spotter

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

My daughter, the plane spotter

Post by Paul K »

Katherine, my younger daughter, spotted this Ford Trimotor over her house in Michigan this past weekend. Apparently, the engine noise drew her outside - does anyone know if the prop tips go supersonic, like the Harvard ? The aircraft is giving flights from a nearby airport, probably KBEH. Not much detail to be seen at that distance, but it was nice of her to know I would be interested. :)

Last edited by Paul K on 16 Aug 2021, 22:50, edited 1 time in total.

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: My daughter, the plane spotter

Post by TSR2 »

Now that's something you don't see every day. Great find Katherine :thumbsup:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Tomliner
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Tomliner »

Well spotted Katherine. A flight in that would be a real experience :thumbsup: EricT
Now at the age where I know I like girls but can't remember why!

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Tako_Kichi »

It was probably one of this pair that have been giving rides recently according to this website.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/story/ ... 510162001/

The Ford international headquarters are of course in Detroit, Michigan (along with GM and Chrysler) so the planes are not too far from their birthplace.
:)
Larry

FlyTexas
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by FlyTexas »

You raised Katherine well, Paul. :lol: Any woman who'll go outside to watch an aircraft fly past is a friend of mine. :thumbsup:

Brian

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

Good story, Paul.
Must have been a high speed exposure, all three props clearly shown.

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I do believe that former pilots of the Ford Trimotor had their careers ended prematurely due to the high level of noise from the engines. Would have been like sitting in an old small corrugated shed with three motorbikes outside with no silencers at full throttle!!

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Thanks for all the very kind responses, chaps. I sent a link to Katherine, so she's had a look through them. :thumbsup:

Nigel H-J - A good while ago, one of the members of the A2A forum had a flight as co-pilot in a Tin Goose. Given its reputation, as you have mentioned, I asked him if was very noisy. He said that it wasn't anything excessive, which surprised me a little. Katherine said it was deafening as it went over. Maybe they've installed modern sound insulation inside.

mgchristy
Trident
Trident

Post by mgchristy »

Your daughter has a good eye, Paul!
A good while ago, one of the members of the A2A forum had a flight as co-pilot in a Tin Goose. Given its reputation, as you have mentioned, I asked him if was very noisy. He said that it wasn't anything excessive, which surprised me a little. Katherine said it was deafening as it went over. Maybe they've installed modern sound insulation inside.
My father and I took a 15-20 minute ride on the EAA Ford Trimotor a few years back during a stopover at a local airfield. I concur with the A2A member's analysis. While it made a good racket from the outside, the interior noise wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, particularly once they throttled back after takeoff. Perhaps sound insulation, or perhaps just reduced power settings compared to what was used 'back in the day'. Granted, I was seated in the rear of the cabin....and I'd probably feel differently if I had to endure the noise on a multi-hour flight across the Alleghenies! :lol:

Not very high quality, but a small video before and during our ride to illustrate. Pardon my pitiful 'camera' work...
https://vimeo.com/170217650
Mark

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

mgchristy wrote:
17 Aug 2021, 19:33
Your daughter has a good eye, Paul!
A good while ago, one of the members of the A2A forum had a flight as co-pilot in a Tin Goose. Given its reputation, as you have mentioned, I asked him if was very noisy. He said that it wasn't anything excessive, which surprised me a little. Katherine said it was deafening as it went over. Maybe they've installed modern sound insulation inside.
My father and I took a 15-20 minute ride on the EAA Ford Trimotor a few years back during a stopover at a local airfield. I concur with the A2A member's analysis. While it made a good racket from the outside, the interior noise wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, particularly once they throttled back after takeoff. Perhaps sound insulation, or perhaps just reduced power settings compared to what was used 'back in the day'. Granted, I was seated in the rear of the cabin....and I'd probably feel differently if I had to endure the noise on a multi-hour flight across the Alleghenies! :lol:

Not very high quality, but a small video before and during our ride to illustrate. Pardon my pitiful 'camera' work...
https://vimeo.com/170217650

Mark, thanks very much. She also sent me a video of two V-22 Ospreys while she was living in New York earlier this year, asking what they were. ;)

Found the thread on the A2A forum, and it is the same aircraft you flew in ( NC8407). Some interior pics to see:

https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewto ... d+trimotor

That's a great video. I like the way it's split into two parts - watching a flight from the ground, and then your trip. That's quite a scenic little airport too - where is it ?