Which Joystick?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Which Joystick?

Post by Nigel H-J »

I have the Honeycombe Yoke for X-Plane 11 and it is really brilliant however, it is not so good for combat flying i.e. Cliffs of Dover as there is really a bit too much movement to make a hard left/right turn and applying elevator.

My Logitech 3D Pro is playing up badly as unable to keep a steady bead on my target due to the elevator running out on me (too much play).

Had it for around three years and now need to hopefully purchase a new joystick next month or even in October as when Cliffs go VR in the not too distant future I just want to get back into the cockpit of the Hurricane and Spitfire!! :lol:

Their are two options for mid range joysticks, one is the Saitek X52 Flight controller Joystick with separate throttle which is now part of Logitech:

https://business.currys.co.uk/catalogue ... lsrc=aw.ds

Or the Gladiator II either one of these:
1) https://flightsimcontrols.com/product/v ... -joystick/

2) https://flightsimcontrols.com/product/gladiator-nxt/

Both presently out of stock but would either of these Gladiators be better than the Logitech Saitek X52? :dunno:

Many thanks in advance.

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Which Joystick?

Post by TSR2 »

I have the x52 pro and don’t rate the stick at all. So much so, that I use the throttle with my trusty Sidewinder 2. I just don’t get how they’re still churning out expensive sticks with a spring in the middle. This was the sort of tech used in my ZX Spectrum days. I’ve not flown many real aircraft, but I’ve never flown or seen one where the control springs back to the middle.

I’d give you my x52 stick, but it can’t be used without the throttle as you connect the stick to the throttle with a mini DIN connector.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Nigel, you might want to have a look at the Thrustmaster T.16000M. A friend of mine uses it for DCS, and I've tried it out - not bad at all. Unusually, the throttle is on a slider, rather than a fore/aft pivot, but you get used to it almost instantly. I've considered it as a potential replacement for my Saitek X52 Pro, if that ever packs up.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t16000m-fcs-hotas

Look up some Youtube reviews. They all seem very favourable.

By the way, Honeycomb are developing a Stick and throttle.

cstorey
Concorde
Concorde

Post by cstorey »

TSR2 wrote:
19 Aug 2021, 20:20
I’ve not flown many real aircraft, but I’ve never flown or seen one where the control springs back to the middle.
Oh there are a number of light aircraft which have an adjustable spring to regulate elevator trim ; the Tipsy Nipper comes to mind, and in fact it was perfectly effective in that application

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

I’d give you my x52 stick, but it can’t be used without the throttle as you connect the stick to the throttle with a mini DIN connector.
Thanks for the offer Ben, been having a rethink and as I already own a CH Throttle Quadrant there is no real need for me to go for one with throttle(s) so now have been looking at ones that are just purely joysticks.
By the way, Honeycomb are developing a Stick and throttle.
Thanks Paul, though that joystick on its own will be around £80-£99 or slightly more when VAT is added and presently I do not wish to spend a great deal on one but the Thrustmaster T.16000M on its own is £59.99 at Amazon and I am leaning towards this one due to the magnetic sensors which are reported to give excellent control on the aircraft.

I have had three Logitech 3D Pros in the past and although good have found that the buttons are the first to fail on it, besides that I just feel like a change in what I have now that my Logitech is playing up.

Again, many thanks for all your help.

Regards
Nigel.

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

It is a modern dilemma. Buying something as personal as a Joystick or even a mouse is a lottery. Where are the stores that stock such things in any sort of variety? It has all gone online now and you have to reply upon guesswork, biased opinions of others and just blind luck. Locally we have a Staples and a Best Buy. Neither stock joysticks and the variety of mice is pitiful one or two Logitech and the rest MS. These things aren't cheap either to be making a guess. Oh but we are so much better off allegedly. Are we?
Alex

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Hi Nigel, I have a Gladiator II, which is gathering dust. Yours for P&P if you want it?

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Nigel, I have a Gladiator II, which is gathering dust. Yours for P&P if you want it?
Hi Chris, sorry for my delay in replying as have been out for most of the day and only just got back. Firstly, very many thanks for your kind offer of the Gladiator II had I seen your offer earlier I would have taken up your offer however, yesterday afternoon I ordered the Thrustsmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick.

I had thought about adding the throttles but had read that they are not very smooth along the rails and tend to be a bit jerky, Babs told me to go for what I wanted rather than make do however, TBH there were very few other Joysticks that took my interest probably due to the fact that some joystick/throttles were difficult to obtain due to companies having to shield their workforce for the past year thus production fell well short of market demand. :dunno:

Will have to see how this joystick is when it arrives, so Paul..........Watch out!! :poke: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though Babs had mentioned that my CH Throttle Quadrant is older than 12 years and the levers are not as they used to be nor the switches either but going to hold off and maybe in a few months time go for separate throttles.
It is a modern dilemma. Buying something as personal as a Joystick or even a mouse is a lottery. Where are the stores that stock such things in any sort of variety? It has all gone online now and you have to reply upon guesswork, biased opinions of others and just blind luck. Locally we have a Staples and a Best Buy. Neither stock joysticks and the variety of mice is pitiful one or two Logitech and the rest MS. These things aren't cheap either to be making a guess. Oh but we are so much better off allegedly. Are we?
How true that is Alex, I remember the days when PC World started and had everything you needed on the shelves so you could ask for a demo before buying, even Comet had a few add-ons in their stores as well as Curry's and some smaller outlets, sadly though a lot seemed to have just folded or been bought out.

As you wrote, it is now more or less a lottery and if a product does not turn out as you expected then a lot depends on the goodwill of the company in either a refund or exchange. Personally even though I read through some of the reviews these are given by people you have never met or know so how reliable are they? You Tube Videos go a bit further thankfully and do give a full review though come to think of it I have never watched one where the reviewer ever gives a bad report, probably due to fear of being indicted!! :lol: :lol:

Regards
Nigel.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Nigel H-J wrote:
21 Aug 2021, 18:01
Will have to see how this joystick is when it arrives, so Paul..........Watch out!! :poke: :lol: :lol:
:worried: :worried:

Seriously, you should be okay with it. As said, I tried it out on my friend's set up, flying the Huey in DCS, and found it very responsive ( the stick, not the Huey :lol: ).

As for the sticking throttle slide action, the answer is to rub a soft pencil lead ( 2B or even 4B) on the slider rails. Graphite is a natural dry lubricant. If you ever have problems inserting a front door key into its lock, rub the key thoroughly with a soft pencil. Problem solved!

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

Hi Paul, thanks for the pencil tip, it never ceases to surprises me how forum members can give these wonderful and helpful tips. I have just received an e-mail saying that the joystick will be arriving today so looking forward to improving my shooting by flying single player - quick mission flight in IL-2 Cliffs of Dover.

Had saved a couple of these 'quick missions' in order to be able to load up the ammunition as I want it as apposed to having to settle with the 'default ammo' that is used and cannot be changed. You can really make a mess of a ME 110 by having one gun with armour piercing and another with incendiary bullets but nowhere near as devastating as the cannons of German Aircraft!! :hide:

Now with the new joystick I should be able to keep a steady aim instead of my current Logitech which keeps randomly pitching the aircraft up and down.
I will be using the Thrustmaster in X-plane as well for flying aircraft with just a joystick such as the Tiger Moth and Phantom.

Again, many thanks to all who have given me a lot of helpful advice.

Regards
Nigel.