MSFS CTD

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Re: MSFS CTD

Post by chrispbits »

Hi Paul, I switched to AMD prior to MSFS but what I can say is that comparisons with other games showed an improvement with the AMD CPU but that may be largely due to having an aging Intel chip. Either way is that MSFS, when running, runs very well indeed, even on my modest 5600x.

Thanks for that info Ben, that's extremely useful and gives me a potential route to better stability. I'll be doing the fresh install of Windows anyway to put Windows onto the higher capacity SSD.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

The installation of the new SSD and Windows was trouble free and I've reinstalled MSFS, also trouble free. So far so good. :) However, what I now get in MSFS is frequent streaming drop outs. This is a first, at least for me. Otherwise MSFS seems to run fine :lol: .

I run the network to the PC via TP-Link power line adapter, which is trouble free as far as I can tell. I'm going to run some network monitoring software to see if I'm getting micro drop outs, which are well tolerated by everything except for MSFS. Interestingly no drop outs evident during the 110Gb download.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

There have been some issues with the Azure streaming over the last week, everything from weather to scenery by all accounts, so its probably not you. This is where the rolling cache comes in handy :)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

Thanks Ben. That would explain a lot! I also have a small confession. :hide: My M2 SSD has a heat sink. I'm a bloke and do I read instructions? Of course not. Part of the installation process is to remove the protective plastic film from the conductive pad. I did it this time! Not sure if that made a difference but it can't but help.

chrispbits
Trident
Trident

Post by chrispbits »

As a hopefully final entry in this thread; since my reinstallation of Windows and MSFS, aside from transient network issues, MSFS has performed flawlessly - not a CTD in site. I suspect that a clean install of MSFS would have done the trick. Reinstallation of Windows was done only to get it onto a new drive.