Password managers ?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Password managers ?

Post by Paul K »

Does anyone use a password manager ? I'm thinking about it, and am looking for a decent FREE one. Any recommendations and advice appreciated. :)

Tako_Kichi
Concorde
Concorde

Re: Password managers ?

Post by Tako_Kichi »

I use Notepad and list every site name, login name and password that I use on a single line each in alphabetical order by site. I back the .txt file up regularly to multiple HDs on this computer and other computers on the network here. Whenever I need to look up a login I just have to open up the .txt file and scroll down. I have used this method for many years over several complete computer upgrades and the only time it has failed me is when I have forgotten to add new data to the file!

Firefox is my browser of choice (it has been since before it was even called Firefox, I go back to the original Mozilla days) and it also saves all my login info for websites I visit and has saved my a$$ a few times where I have needed my login info but forgotten to update the .txt file. The answer was in Firefox so I was good to go. Conversely there have been times where I have had to clear cached data including login info and the .txt file has helped me to repopulate the Firefox list again. I do of course back up the Firefox data (logins, bookmarks, preferences, etc.) to multiple locations too. ;)

HTH. :thumbsup:
Larry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Larry, that's pretty much what I do at the moment - Firefox, and a constantly updated Open Office document with all the passwords, log-ins PINs etc. My younger daughter has Last Pass, and she's checking if there is a spare family member slot available. :)

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Edge has one built in and also checks to see if any of them have been compromised.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

DaveG
The Gurus

Post by DaveG »

I use Bitwarden at the moment, which is free for personal use.
https://bitwarden.com/
Stores the encrypted info in the cloud so it's accessable from anywhere. There's PC and phone apps available.
Keepass is another free option which is pretty good. Again, PC and phone versions available, but you need to sync those yourself.
https://keepass.info/
Dave G.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Ben, Dave, cheers guys. I'm looking at quite a few options now - thanks very much :cheers:

Archer
VC10
VC10

Post by Archer »

For those of you using Firefox, have a look at their app: Lockwise. It syncs with the stored passwords in Firefox using a Firefox account and the app allows the use of these same logins on a phone or tablet (I use it on iOS, they have a version for Android too). Completely free and very user friendly. See here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/lockwise/
Due to shortages and cutbacks the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.
------------
A Little VC10derness - http://www.VC10.net - Visit the Forum!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Archer wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 11:04
For those of you using Firefox, have a look at their app: Lockwise. It syncs with the stored passwords in Firefox using a Firefox account and the app allows the use of these same logins on a phone or tablet (I use it on iOS, they have a version for Android too). Completely free and very user friendly. See here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/lockwise/
I've got Firefox on all four of my computers / phones etc so it could be the one to go for. Thanks very much indeed for that. :cheers:

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

I use the free version of Last Pass because it allows the use of very strong passwords which can be generated randomly and you can use a different password for each site. This morning I received a newsletter from Ask Woody with the follo9wing recommendation:

"I strongly recommend using a password program in lieu of storing passwords in your browser. Stealing passwords stored in your browser is trivial, and writing down passwords on paper doesn't force you to choose good passwords. Using a tool to generate complex passwords is highly recommended. Look for a password tool that is platform-agnostic and will allow you to log in to sites across all your devices. Once you set up a password program, go back to your browser software and remove the saved passwords. Over time, as you log in to your key websites, change the passwords on these sites to more complex, secure ones

Nigel²

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Tbh, any site that’s important you shouldn’t use a password manager (I.e. banks, credit cards etc… even PayPal) as you should use multi factor authentication on such sites.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage