Password managers ?

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Password managers ?

Post by Paul K »

Nigel, Ben, thanks. Good points, all of them. I'm still waiting to hear whether there's a spare family slot in my son-in-law's Last Pass. Too busy in Las Vegas at the moment. 8)

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

As a last poster on this I do as Larry does. I have made up a list of sites and passwords on Excel in no particular order then save it to a dongle which is then only accessible by password that I would never forget!! 8)

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

nigelb
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by nigelb »

TSR2 wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 21:08
Tbh, any site that’s important you shouldn’t use a password manager (I.e. banks, credit cards etc… even PayPal) as you should use multi factor authentication on such sites.
Last Pass allows you to set up two factor authentication for sensitive sites.

Nigel²

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Nigel, what I mean is that you should use the 2FA directly with the sensitive site. We use last pass in work and it’s good, but I’d never put bank or financial information into a password manager. There have been well documented cases where online password managers have been hacked and their root certificate stolen. In the past, this allowed hackers to decrypt password stored in password managers. It’s not a common thing by any means, but if it’s important, don’t store it in the internet.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Thanks for all the responses and input, gents. I think I'm going to go with Last Pass premium. It's only £2.60 a month, and I can cover all four of my devices. Ben, I shall keep the 2FA subject in mind, and might come back to pick your brains further, if I may.

Thanks again folks :)

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Of course mate. All I was meaning is that most banks etc require more than a password for you to log in. PayPal etc also give you the option of adding multi factor authentication. So in order to log into PayPal I need my password and the code they text to my phone. Nothing is infallible, don’t get me wrong. There are always ways and means.
We use lastpass not just for websites we use, but for some of the systems we access too. It’s also good for some things where you need to share information within a team (not that you’d need that on the personal product, but it works well.)
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage