Fuel crisis

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

TSR2
The Ministry

Re: Fuel crisis

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Mike,

The mini works it out based on a number of measurements including the octane rating of the fuel it senses in the tank (so I’ve been told), hence the increas in range. 😊
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

That's high-tech, Ben.
So is your petrol price; One and a half quid per litre :-O
I get cheesed off at $AU1.50.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

I've been topping my car up every day in an effort to beat these panic buyers.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Airspeed wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 10:57
That's high-tech, Ben.
So is your petrol price; One and a half quid per litre :-O
I get cheesed off at $AU1.50.
Currently supermarket petrol in the North East is about £1.34 per litre. That's the stuff I usually use. It has an E10 rating and and Octane rating of 95. However as noted earlier, I've discovered that the Shell V Power gives me a much greater range, and is much more efficient. It has an octane rating of 99 (not sure if its E5 or E10 for ethanol content though). Regardless, the cheap fuel from the supermarket is working out approximately £0.20 per mile, whereas the more expensive Shell V power is working out £0.17. So the fuel that is more expensive is actually better value.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Kevin Farnell
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by Kevin Farnell »

Currently supermarket petrol in the North East is about £1.34 per litre. That's the stuff I usually use. It has an E10 rating and and Octane rating of 95. However as noted earlier, I've discovered that the Shell V Power gives me a much greater range, and is much more efficient. It has an octane rating of 99 (not sure if its E5 or E10 for ethanol content though). Regardless, the cheap fuel from the supermarket is working out approximately £0.20 per mile, whereas the more expensive Shell V power is working out £0.17. So the fuel that is more expensive is actually better value.
[/quote]

Ben, I'm fairly certain that the higher octane fuels are E5 and will remain so for a few more years. Also, fuels like Shell V Power, BP Ultimate etc, contain a 'detergent' (similar to REDEX, which you can buy separately and add to the tank yourself) which will help prevent carbon build up on valves, spark plugs and piston heads. I don't think supermarket fuels contain this.

Kevin
Stratospheric traces, of our transitory flight.
Trails of condensation, held in narrow paths of white...

511Flyer
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by 511Flyer »

I've just returned from a 2 week holiday in Kefalonia. Petrol is 1.75 euros a litre now, and I can remember when, not too long ago, it was 51 euros.

:)

emfrat
Concorde
Concorde
Location: 50 DME West of Brisbane, Ugarapul and Kitabul country in Sunny Qld

Post by emfrat »

I can remember my cousin always asked for "5 gallons, and a penny RedEx." Of course in them days you actually got served at a service station.
MikeW

Nigel H-J
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Nigel H-J »

My father always used the same garage for petrol and servicing when we lived in Nottingham. The owner was around 60 70 years of age, well he did to me as I was around 12 years old then. :lol: When I was with my father we went for petrol and imagine my delight when the owner passed me the nozzle and said do you want to fill it up? Mind you he was with me all the time but thought it was great.

When at Scampton one of the drivers bought a second hand Jaguar 'S' type, this would be around 1973ish but instead of filling up at a petrol station he used to drive it round to the fuel tankers at night and fill it up with Avgas, a couple of us went out with him one day into Lincoln and I can honestly say that he frightened all of us to death, the acceleration was unbelievable but, with Avgas the engine did not last long, about a week I think it was though probably more to do with the fact it had done a lot of mileage and also he used to thrash the engine well above the red line!

Regards
Nigel.
I used to be an optimist but with age I am now a grumpy old pessimist.

mgchristy
Trident
Trident

Post by mgchristy »

:lol:

Nice one, Graham! Our prices over on this side of the pond are equally atrocious...although still thankfully not as severe as over there. That Bucc might get better fuel mileage than my daily driver Hemi Dodge Charger. :lol: Reliable as an anvil, but it won't win any Greenpeace awards... :dunno:
Mark