Only a Tit Bit!

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Only a Tit Bit!

Post by Paul K »

Airspeed wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 01:51
We're metric in Australia.
I'm glad it came in 1966; if the Shadows' track was called .9144m, .6096m, .9144m, it would have been less catchy :doh:

I remember it. The publicity campaign featured a little cartoon character called Dollar Bill. He had a song which went:

"In come the dollars, and in come the cents,
Out go the pounds and the shillings and the pence,
Get ready now, or you'll be in a fix,
On the 14th of February 1966."

Funny how these things stick in the mind. Decimalization went smoothly, and everyone got used to it very quickly. But, it led to a problem for me, because later on I had to sit my 11 Plus exam out there, for when we returned to the UK, and a lot of the maths questions were in 'old money'. My dad was under the Far East air force, so some helpful chap in Singapore sent a load of old exam papers for me to practice on. As my friends played outside, I was stuck indoors trying to work out how many mushrooms I could buy and still have enough change for the bus fare of two shillings and nine pence. 8)

It paid off, and I passed, but I think that's where the dislike of the imperial measurement system was implanted in my brain. That said, I still walk half a mile for a nice pint :lol:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

I simply will Not be measured by a foreign ruler!

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

airboatr wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 15:38
I simply will Not be measured by a foreign ruler!
Do you not produce your own rulers, then ? Surely they sell them in Staples, don't they ?

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by airboatr »

:lol: :lol: :doh: