Cheap at half the price

The Crewroom for non-FS related stuff, fun and general chat.

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Cheap at half the price

Post by Airspeed »

This morning's radio news included an item about Australia buying a bunch of hard-to-maintain helicopters that America is fed up with.
I have been seething about our supreme desire to kow-tow to the USA, and buy their leftovers for $ squillions.
Then, this afternoon, I found this, which must be true as it's on the internet:
Australia, which has sealed a strategic partnership with the United States and the United Kingdom under the name “Aukus” to counter China’s regional aspirations, has asked for $ 985 for twelve MH-60R helicopters and their equipment.
That's a good price after all, the radio must have got it wrong.
I've decided to buy them myself when the next pension payment arrives; a fine boost for the museum :agree:

airboatr
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Cheap at half the price

Post by airboatr »

I'm sure you aren't taking it as bad as Mr. Macron took the news that the US and the UK are helping Australia acquire nuclear powered submarines.

Airspeed
Red Arrows
Red Arrows
Location: Central Victorian Highlands, Dja Dja Wurrung Country, Australia

Post by Airspeed »

airboatr wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 09:56
I'm sure you aren't taking it as bad as Mr. Macron took the news that the US and the UK are helping Australia acquire nuclear powered submarines.
Yes, well that was our first act of submission (in that week). :rant:

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

You could always buy les French 'elicopterrrs. I think they have some Alouettes which are even more difficult to maintain. ;)

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

According to John Carey when interviewed by French TV, Old Joe didn't even know about the Nuke Sub deal to Australia. How worrying is that? Who signed the deal? What day of the week is it? :lol:
Alex

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

As I read it it was the Airbus helicopters that Australia bought that have been a nightmare. Was it the NH90’s? As I recall they’ve been a nightmare.
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Vancouver wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 17:34
According to John Carey when interviewed by French TV, Old Joe didn't even know about the Nuke Sub deal to Australia. How worrying is that? Who signed the deal? What day of the week is it? :lol:
Alex, John Kerry said that Biden was not fully aware of the negative impact a joint United Kingdom-American submarine deal with Australia had had on France. He did not say that Biden didn't know about the deal itself.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-10-06/ ... /100518118

Vancouver
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vancouver »

I beg to differ, watch the video and Carey exposes Biden's ignorance of the matter. Further evidence here that you cannot expect honesty from the media who are so very dishonest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_rSCNZitiE&t=328s

For a U.S. president to be ignorant and not 'hands on' over such a serious matter is a profound worry.
Alex

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Watched the video, Alex, thanks.

Cutting out what Bill O'Reilly says, which are just his own opinions,and only focusing on the interview with John Kerry - go to the beginning of that portion. You do not hear the question he has been asked by the two men opposite - it starts with his response to that unknown question. So what was the question ? Watch the video again - at starts at 2:25 and note that you do not hear the question.

In the Australian link I gave you, there is a transcript of what Kerry said. Biden was unaware of French anger - not that Biden was unaware of the deal itself. The following press links say the same thing:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... e-french-/

https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-world/ ... set-france

Even Fox news doesn't say that Biden was unaware of the submarine deal - only that he was unaware of the French anger about it - the 'dust-up' as they put it.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/john-kerr ... nce-dustup

Finally, watch the announcement made by Biden ( with Morrison and Johnson linked up ) about AUKUS. At 9:25 into the video, he talks about the nuclear submarines, stressing that they will be conventionally armed.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/vi ... eal-video

Setting aside doubts about the veracity of the media ( including Bill O'Reilly and Youtube ! ), and also setting aside your political affiliations or inclinations, do you seriously believe that Biden was unaware that the USA had agreed to build nuclear submarines and transfer secret technology to Australia ? Even though the matter was discussed at the G-7 meeting in Cornwall in June ? Even though it was central to the AUKUS defence agreement that Biden was a signatory to ? Even though he actually spoke of the submarines during that announcement at the White House ?

Watch that video you sent again, and watch O'Reilly's deliberate misinterpretation of what Kerry says.. You yourself say that you cannot trust the media - well Bill O' Reilly is part of that media.

blanston12
Vintage Pair
Vintage Pair

Post by blanston12 »

985m for 12 seams high, that comes out to 82m each. I found an article dated July of this year that stated "Lockheed Martin has been awarded a $129 million contract modification to produce and deliver three MH-60R aircraft as replacement-in-kind for the US Navy.", that comes out to 43m each. Even if you assume the 985m number is Australian dollars and the 129m are USD, the value in the USN contract converted is 58m each. That does not seam like a bargain.
Joe Cusick,

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.