Best PC companies, please

The place for hardware and software issues, FS and non-FS related

Moderators: Guru's, The Ministry

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Re: Best PC companies, please

Post by Paul K »

Ben, thanks for all the info - very helpful.

Is this the Samsung monitor you have ? If so, are you running it at 4K- or what resolution ?

https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/business/ ... 550uqcxxk/

It looks very good value - only £249 at PC World / Currys.

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Yep, that's the one I've got. I'm running it at 4K. I wanted an IPS panel because the colour and tones are more important to me than refresh rates.

The stand isn't as good as the LG and the onscreen menu control for the monitor has been moved from the back (on most Samsung Monitors, which I found completely unintuitive) to a little joystick under the centre.

Picture in picture is useful for me sometimes if I have the work laptop connected to the other input, and I can have them both on screen. This was better on the UltraWide LG (in so far as it was easier to fit two simultaneous feeds side by side with the extra width), but the software you had to install to get it to work was utterly horrendous.

One thing to note; I have AMD FreeSync enabled on the monitor, and I've enabled the Nvidia G-Sync in compatible mode. Its connected on display port to my RTX2070. The Nvidia driver says "Selected display is not validated as G-Sync compatible" but it works none the less. I read several reviews at the time which basically said NVidia had very limited range of "validated" G-Sync compatible monitors because they wanted to encourage people to buy fully G-Sync enabled monitors (for which they receive royalties).

Also, I've HDR10 mode enabled in the Windows 11 display settings.... Can't think of anything else :lol:
Ben.:tunes:

ImageImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Thanks Ben, great info. Having tried one out at Cosford, I agree with you about the ultra wide monitors - I didn't like it much, but that was only a brief experience. This Samsung monitor looks just the job. :thumbsup:

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

TSR2 wrote:
12 Nov 2021, 21:53
I'm running it at 4K.
Ben, sorry to monopolize your time, but one last query; do you ever run things at 1440p on your 4K monitor ? The reason I ask is that if the frame rates at 4K were bad on a certain game or app, they might be better at the lower resolution.

I've searched this on the web, and the general opinion runs along the lines of " Yes, 1440p will run on a 4K monitor, but it's slightly blurry ". I understand why that might be, what with pixel density and whatnot, but I wondered if you had any experience of it.

( At the moment, I am veering back towards a native 1440p monitor.)

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

Hi Paul,

As a general rule, you wouldn’t run the monitor at lower than it’s native resolution, they look horrible.

Now you might run a game at a resolution lower than the resolution set in Windows… that’s a different thing. And to some extent will depend on the graphics within the game as to whether or not it looks good.

The refresh rate on the monitor will always be (in the case of my Samsung or the LG I have) 60Hz. A game might have rubbish fps, but the monitor will still be drawing the image 60 times a second, even if the game isn’t changing it that often. The bottleneck in this instance is the game (due to whatever issues are causing the limitations, whether that be number or complexity of objects etc.

I think 1440p might be a good shout though, but I wouldn’t expect it will have a noticeable difference on the game, particularly given the rest of your spec.

ImageImageImage

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Hi Ben - thanks for that. :cheers:

I think I'm going to go for a 27" 1440p monitor. They seem to be the ideal monitor for a 3060Ti ( I've changed the spec from a 3060 to a 3060Ti ). So, that's me finally decided - at least until this evening, when I shall change my mind once more. :doh:

TSR2
The Ministry

Post by TSR2 »

The Ti is a much better shout 👍

ImageImageImage

Charlie Bravo
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Charlie Bravo »

I may be a little late to the party but having looked at your proposed spec, I can't help but think it's rather top heavy and not overly balanced.

The CPU is an overpriced Intel unit offering lower performance than a cheaper AMD counterpart (confirmed by benchmarks). The budget is being spent in areas such as the CPU, very expensive case and rather a lot of RAM, but could instead be used to increase the graphics card spec and improve CPU cooling (for instance).

If you haven't already ordered, consider something along the lines of...

Case
NZXT H511 MID-TOWER GAMING CASE (BLACK)

Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 core CPU (3.7Ghz-4.8Ghz/70mb Cache/AM4)

Motherboard
Gigabyte X570 Gaming X ATX

Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)

Graphics Card
12GB Nvidia GEFORCE RTX 3080ti - HDMI, DP

1st Storage Drive
2TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)

2nd Storage Drive
2TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)

1st M.2 SSD Drive OS DRIVE
2TB CORSAIR MP400 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (up to 3480 MB/R, 3000 MB/W)

2nd M.2 SSD Drive MS Flight Sim Drive
4TB CORSAIR MP400 NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (up to 3480 MB/R, 3000 MB/W)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
16x BLU-RAY WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW & SOFTWARE

Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series (270W TDP)

Far far greater performance for £100 less. :hide:

Rgds
A bird in the hand will probably sh!t on your wrist.

Paul K
Red Arrows
Red Arrows

Post by Paul K »

Charlie Bravo - thanks hugely. :cheers:

I haven't ordered yet, though my specs are complete. However, tomorrow is another day, and I shall take a very close look at what you recommend, and how it will suit 1440p.

The only thing I have ordered is the monitor as below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

It ticked all the boxes. ;)

Vc Ten
Concorde
Concorde

Post by Vc Ten »

Hmm I'd be more bothered the way the graphics card played with the processor Thought Nvidia got along better with Intel chipset That was the main reason I changed over from AMD because I wanted a 2070 super Is this not valid anymore?
Depends Paul if you intend to use the pc for anything other than sims You don't need ssd for your storage where access speed is unimportant. You could save a bit there The 4 tb drive for Msfs is massive I can't see you ever getting close to filling it ( mines 1 tb and only 150 gb used up to now)
But if you are filling it with othe games, apps who knows As for the 3080, great if you / your builder can get hold of one. You will need at least 12 gb to be safe when msfs switches to dx12. I could run out with 8gig at some complex (maybe poorly optimized) airports, when P3d switched to dx12.
Dale
Image Image Image